Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   [HELP] Brake Light issue (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=313093)

PurpleTurbo Jan 6th, 2021 18:09

[HELP] Brake Light issue

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, ive recently bought a 940 Celebration. I know its a common problem for the brake lights to not work at all and it be due to the light failure relay.

This is an issue in this car too however I found some loose connectors in the footwell above the brake pedal and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they are for and if this could be the source of the problem instead of the relay? Thanks in advance.
Attachment 132556

Attachment 132557

griston64 Jan 6th, 2021 18:20

It could also be the brake light switch. That was my issue. Mine only needed adjusting

PurpleTurbo Jan 6th, 2021 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2695685)
It could also be the brake light switch. That was my issue. Mine only needed adjusting

Could you tell me how id go about doing this? I'm not very mechanically minded but I got this car with the intention of learning how to do stuff myself.

griston64 Jan 6th, 2021 18:44

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 132558

The switch shown will be above the brake pedal. If I remember rightly when you push down on the pedal it releases and your brake lights come on. If it's too close they won't come on. That was my issue but the switch could also have failed.

griston64 Jan 6th, 2021 18:47

1 Attachment(s)
This diagram shows it better

Attachment 132559

PurpleTurbo Jan 6th, 2021 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2695700)

Attachment 132559

Ah brilliant thank you, I'll go have a look at it tomorrow and hope it just needs adjustment :regular_smile:

PurpleTurbo Jan 6th, 2021 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2695700)

Attachment 132559

Also I feel like the relay is working as when I got the car it had a dipped beam bulb out and the symbol was on the dash

Laird Scooby Jan 6th, 2021 20:12

You haven't got cruise control on your car have you? :nah:

Try renewing the brake light bulbs, i'd suggest all three are blown, 2x 21.5W stop/tail lights and 1x 21W cente brake light. If they are all blown they won't trigger the BFU. Also renew that headlight bulb (better still renew both!) to fix the problem of the BFU telling you a headlight bulb is out.

When renewing the stop/tail bulbs, note the pins on the side of the bulb base are at staggered heights, the bulb holder accomodates this so make sure you get them in the right way round!

PurpleTurbo Jan 6th, 2021 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2695750)
You haven't got cruise control on your car have you? :nah:

Try renewing the brake light bulbs, i'd suggest all three are blown, 2x 21.5W stop/tail lights and 1x 21W cente brake light. If they are all blown they won't trigger the BFU. Also renew that headlight bulb (better still renew both!) to fix the problem of the BFU telling you a headlight bulb is out.

When renewing the stop/tail bulbs, note the pins on the side of the bulb base are at staggered heights, the bulb holder accomodates this so make sure you get them in the right way round!

If im right in thinking the tail bulbs are the stop bulbs then I know that two of them work, they just don't get brighter under braking, they're also dual filament like I think they're meant to be.

Laird Scooby Jan 6th, 2021 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleTurbo (Post 2695757)
If im right in thinking the tail bulbs are the stop bulbs then I know that two of them work, they just don't get brighter under braking, they're also dual filament like I think they're meant to be.

Tail bulbs are tail light (side light) bulbs.

Stop bulbs are brake bulbs.

They are different animals contained within one glass envelope each side plus a brake bulb in the middle.

Renew the three of them as i suggested further up.