Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Engine: 2.5: fault light on reads as brake light switch (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=57156)

richardbell556 Aug 21st, 2008 21:41

fault light on reads as brake light switch

fault light has came on code was read as brake light switch . the message that came up on dash was [engine needs service ) help want to go away with caravan tomorrow !!! car is v70 1999/2000 2.5 d any ideas please code was cleared 2 weeks ago no problems till tonight can it be somthing other than brake light switch as lights are working

Clan Aug 21st, 2008 22:35

Yes the brake light switch is monitored by the Engine ECU as is the brake position sensor on the servo ..

richardbell556 Aug 21st, 2008 22:41

fix

any idea what the problem is as it's been ok for week or so then wham it's back is it the switch is there just one?

richardbell556 Aug 21st, 2008 23:12

fix

brake position sensor on the servo ..??? where ?is this a big job lights seem to work ok but as i say been ok for 2 weeks then it's back so hard to tell what's what light switch or sensor . would it tell you senser on decoder or just brake switch if it is this senser you mention any idea? lights working at presant.

ShadeTek Aug 21st, 2008 23:34

I think only the early models had position sensors on them which had the cracked solder joints. Maybe the brake light switch IS faulty?

richardbell556 Aug 21st, 2008 23:52

fix

so do i but i woder if that would be to easy. my mates bosch code readers not linking with car but we can guess it's the same code as last time... i think i.ve seen that the code can be ceared by disconnesting battery for some time. but i need a fix so how would i know if there is a senser on our car or not?
is it safe to drive at preasant ?

richardbell556 Aug 25th, 2008 19:14

been told its more likey the servo senser

has anyone ever changed one it sticks out of servo with wire connector to the left? been told there about £90 ??/??/

Clan Aug 25th, 2008 19:44

If the code read "Brake Light Switch" it wont be the brake pedal position sensor in the servo it will be the brake light switch on the pedal ...

Jod T5 Aug 25th, 2008 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 398571)
If the code read "Brake Light Switch" it wont be the brake pedal position sensor in the servo it will be the brake light switch on the pedal ...

LOL @ Nick....
Cheers
Jod

richardbell556 Aug 29th, 2008 12:31

fixed i hope

quick up date had code read again not by a bosch 650 by local independent volvo workshop . has replaced servo senser cleared code hopfuly fixed. senser about £85 charged alittle for fitting and code clearing £111 took 30mins when part was ordered and went back for fitting .. so car dash read engine service required ,when this is on display cruse control is dead ... till ing turned off. when you switch back on it is live but fault light stayes lit on dash till the fault is detected again and message is displayed again on dash will come on under brakeing so i hope this helps some one out there as £90 pound for a senser is a lot to spend on miss diagnossis.. but this i was told is a common part to fail as is m'a'f sensers...