Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   V70: General Replace coolant or not? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=298773)

morsing Sep 21st, 2019 10:53

Replace coolant or not?

Hi,

My 2014 V70 D4 is coming up for 5 years and I was planning a coolant change but even my Haynes manual says don't bother, and they are normally quite cautious.

So what's the general consensus? Change it or leave it?

Clan Sep 21st, 2019 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by morsing (Post 2555754)
Hi,

My 2014 V70 D4 is coming up for 5 years and I was planning a coolant change but even my Haynes manual says don't bother, and they are normally quite cautious.

So what's the general consensus? Change it or leave it?

Volvo coolant is designed to last indefinitely , it is the best quality and price on the market . As long as it is clean bright blue/green it will be fine ..
I have been using it for the last 40 years in my various cars . My 1988 340 still has it's original volvo coolant .

Now about 7 years ago volvo started using a cut price coolant in the factory and that could go brown after just a couple of years , it's freezing quality did not deteriorate ( -37C) but the anti corrosion properties did so if you have this , flush it out , get 4 litres of volvo coolant and mix 50-50 with clean water , some would say distilled , up to you .

The coolant volvo parts have sold has always been the highest quality since the early 1970's .

morsing Sep 21st, 2019 15:10

Ok, will check the coolant, if clear, leave it.

Thassos Sep 21st, 2019 18:59

green it is

if a nice greeney colour leave it, 😁

I have seen one volvo with clear coloured ? water in the coolant tank, didnt seem right to me,

I wonder what colour those coolant replacement fluids from ? evans ? are

Clan Sep 21st, 2019 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thassos (Post 2555868)
if a nice greeney colour leave it, 😁

I have seen one volvo with clear coloured ? water in the coolant tank, didnt seem right to me,

I wonder what colour those coolant replacement fluids from ? evans ? are

don't talk about Evans :confused_smile:

barrybritcher Sep 22nd, 2019 02:25

get a ten pound refractometer from ebay and test it!

barrybritcher Sep 22nd, 2019 02:26

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antifreez...dIi3e&LH_BIN=1

green van man Sep 22nd, 2019 08:10

My 2009 xc was one of the cars clan talk about with the factory coolant turning brown. The volvo coolant I replaced it with was not the same as my 1999 v70 had, being thiner and less oily feeling.

The reason the factory coolant turned brown was the corrosion inhibitors had died, still worked as antifreeze.

The engineer in me says nothing lasts forever and doesnot degrade, so I change the cars fluids at what I see as reasonable intervals.
Brake fluid, power steering fluid, gearbox oil every 2 years.
Coolant every 8 years on the volvo every 2 years on the landrover.

Your car your choise, but the engineer in you is asking the question. Peace of mind is worth a lot of money and a breakdown inconvenient at any time. I look upon it as preventative maintenance change it before it fails and you never have failier, just planned down time.

Paul.

green van man Sep 22nd, 2019 08:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrybritcher (Post 2555973)
get a ten pound refractometer from ebay and test it!

That will test it's freezing point, the reason the factory coolant turned brown was the corrosion inhibitors failed, still worked as antifreeze. Your engine didnot freeze, just corroded away.

Mine was a very brown colour I noticed when drawing a sample to test, it passed as antifreeze. I changed it and do every 8 years now.

Paul.

barrybritcher Sep 22nd, 2019 19:27

yup this is often overlooked. It's the corrosion inhibitors that need renewing too