Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   S40 (New) Electrics : 6F51 - Tailgate Handle DTC (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=292197)

hitechtherealone Feb 25th, 2019 20:34

6F51 - Tailgate Handle DTC

Hi. done some work on a S40 for a customer then its developed a fault the boot not opening with Boot Open message on dashboard.

I had a lot of work on today and had it booked in for some diagnostics so didnt have the time to investigate it. It luckily opened for me once. Then it wouldnt open at all again after that one time. A diagnostic scan came up with 6F51 - Tailgate handle DTC.

I have had a look around for a sticky on this as it seems ot be a common fault on the S40's. What i did do was a quick adaptation of door and boot locks. Locking and unlocking. But it did not help it. I cleared the code and it didnt come back but the boot still wouldnt open.

After some research this common fault seems to be directed at the small part of wiring that goes thru the tall gate. My question is , is it likely to be the wiring OR the actual switch going by that fault ? I really wish i had more time when it actually opened and i would have taken the screws off the small wiring harness that goes to the switch for checks. Any input on this I would appreciate. Thanks. Its a 10 plate btw.

Paddy94 Feb 25th, 2019 21:47

I'd start by checking the actual wiring itself, this is a pretty common issue with these cars.

hitechtherealone Feb 27th, 2019 03:40

How to get the boot opened ? Help please.

Yeah it seems to be a strong possibility. Whats the best way just to get the boot opened to actually get to the wiring? No doubt I will be crawling into the boot from the back seat. Once Im in there is there any quick way to get it opened ? Also is it possible a fuse has blown aswell because of frayed wires and if so where will it be located and what amps should it be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paddy94 (Post 2498983)
I'd start by checking the actual wiring itself, this is a pretty common issue with these cars.

hitechtherealone Feb 27th, 2019 05:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by hitechtherealone (Post 2498957)
Hi. done some work on a S40 for a customer then its developed a fault the boot not opening with Boot Open message on dashboard.

I had a lot of work on today and had it booked in for some diagnostics so didnt have the time to investigate it. It luckily opened for me once. Then it wouldnt open at all again after that one time. A diagnostic scan came up with 6F51 - Tailgate handle DTC.

I have had a look around for a sticky on this as it seems ot be a common fault on the S40's. What i did do was a quick adaptation of door and boot locks. Locking and unlocking. But it did not help it. I cleared the code and it didnt come back but the boot still wouldnt open.

After some research this common fault seems to be directed at the small part of wiring that goes thru the tall gate. My question is , is it likely to be the wiring OR the actual switch going by that fault ? I really wish i had more time when it actually opened and i would have taken the screws off the small wiring harness that goes to the switch for checks. Any input on this I would appreciate. Thanks. Its a 10 plate btw.

OK after some more research and hunting on here I found this:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ot+wiring+loom

Perfect. Now I have a plan in place to get it sorted. I was planning on re-soldering but couldn't help notice. Are all the wires coloured black ??????? NO WAY !!!!

hitechtherealone Nov 13th, 2019 16:47

Fixed

I replaced the wiring loom from boot to module and its now opening. But the DIM message still sais boot open. But its actually not and it now works as normal. Any idea why this message is still on the DIM. Where on VIDA could this be cleared?