Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   What are the best tyres to put on an XC90? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=102374)

diy Aug 13th, 2010 16:14

Any suggestions for the R-Design?

Pirelli P Zero Rosso 255/50R19 is standard, which seems daft on a car like this.

yeoman Aug 13th, 2010 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by teaboy (Post 722769)
Hi, I've had my XC90 (bought second hand from a Volvo dealer) for over a year now. The front two tyres need replacing and I wondered what people's experience was with which tyres to put on the car?

The best tyre to an entent will depend on your wheel size, I have used nokians before and can say that they are the equal or better of any of the so called premium one. FACT.
Currently , after extensive research, I have ATTURO AZ800. they are slightly noisier that the pirrellis I had but the grip is WAY better

drpepper Aug 16th, 2010 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by REDSHEEPRIDD (Post 722997)
Roy,

These were different companies offers on Wintracs - Camskill for supply only +£2.49/tyre post + fitting at say £15 = £150.

Are they worth the extra £50 over the Grabbers for a set????????

I've never had them but Wintracs always highly rated by the Discovery drivers I've known to have them, think there's more running the Grabbers though overall.

t5_monkey Aug 16th, 2010 21:01

anything but pirelli P6000's

rkv Aug 17th, 2010 14:03

Another factor you might want to consider is under which conditions you want your tyres to offer the best performance. The General Tire Grabber UHP, Kumho Ecsta, and Vredstien Wintrac 4 are all very good choices. However, they are not necessarily equivalent in different weather/temperature conditions.

I believe the Grabber is considered by most as a summer tire. The Kumho while technically claiming to be an all season tyre is probably biased toward summer. The Vredstien Wintrac 4 is a winter tyre. Note winter does not necessarily mean snow. There can be major differences in traction and wear relating to the compounds of the tyre and how they perform at different temperatures.

If you were going with two sets of tyres, then the Grabber and Vredstien would probably be excellent choices. If you are looking at only one set then an all season tyre would probably be the best. But there too you still may want to take into account weather.

I run Pirelli P Zeros on one vehicle of mine. However, that vehicle I only drive in the summer and on sunny(dry) days. (It's a convertible.) I really like the P Zeros for that vehicle, but I wouldn't use them if I was doing a lot of driving in cold weather or when it was wet.

On my XC90 I use Nokian WR G2 SUVs which is an all season tyre which is biased toward better performance in winter. I chose those because for me light snow, ice, and wet are where I want the tyres to provide their greatest safety margin. However, if I was doing a lot of motorway driving in southern europe during the summers, I suspect these would wear very quickly. I would either go for separate summer and winter tyres or select a different all season tyre which was biased a bit more toward warm weather. (I once took a vehicle from the UK to the tropics and managed to literally melt the tyres due to high speeds and 40+ temperatures.)

If you are driving principally in the UK and northern europe, I highly recommend the Nokian.

RoyMacDonald Aug 17th, 2010 14:12

I use the Wintrac 4 Extreme's all year round. The wear rate is 1mm per 12,000 miles.

Britsud Aug 17th, 2010 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by diy (Post 723057)
Any suggestions for the R-Design?

Pirelli P Zero Rosso 255/50R19 is standard, which seems daft on a car like this.

I have recently for the first time changed to the Yokohama Advan 255/50/19 cant believe the ride and noise level, much improved on the p zeros seem as good in the wet probably not as good in snow though but for £485 for four bargain. If they are good enough as an OE for Bentley, Aston and porsche's 4x4 they wil do for me.

ps i only do 7000 a year so high milage not an issue as i' DONT LIKE OLD TYRES' but will keep update on wear rate.

Bri

JimG Aug 22nd, 2010 15:51

Has anyone tried Goodyear Wrangler HP AllWeather?

I'm not allowed to say which Force I work for but I'm a Traffic Officer in the Police. Prior to our current 4x4 vehicles, we used to use the Range Rover P38. These Goodyears were fitted all year round and coped well with high speed motorway use for the majority of the time. But when the snow fell we could still tow laden artics without any problems. This is testament to the Range Rover but as you all may know, you can have the right vehicle but with the wrong tyres - you're stuffed.

A colleague has these fitted on his Freelander and they have currently covered 46K miles.

I'm looking to change my V70 T5 for an XC90 soon and I will definitely want to fit the Wranglers.

Ron_XC90 Aug 22nd, 2010 20:02

I have the Goodyear's and can recommend them to anyone.
Used them in all kinds of weather, sand, snow, etc and have been absolutely brilliant.
Have done approx 15k mls with them so far and looking at wear, the fronts will last for at least another 25k...
Rear tyres have more thread left, so might swap front/rear in the next few Months

Jim314 Aug 23rd, 2010 01:45

The Goodyear Wrangler HP All Weather is a lotta tyre! From the Tire Rack site it only comes in 255/60-18 and 255/55-19. (See http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....HP+All+Weather which are nominally 30 inch diameter at the tread, weigh 37 lb and cost over $US 340!

Isn't the recommended size for the XC90 235/65-17 or 235/60-18? Both of these sizes are nominally 29 inch diameter at the tread.

A Goodyear Eagle GT in 235/60-18 is 29 inch dia at the tread, 30 lb, and costs $US 146. See http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....lar=&tab=Specs