Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Engine System service required (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=262728)

bobsy852 Jan 25th, 2017 18:10

Engine System service required

Evening all.
so after 8 months of wondeful problem free motoring in my D5 i got my forst problem tonight.
112k miles and I just changed the oil this last Saturday. Then tonight, driving up the motorway to visit my partner in hospital and I get "Engine System service required".
Luckily the car still ran (well enough to get me to the hospital).
I have about a 30 miles to drive home. Then tomorrow i have a 200 mile round trip to complete tomorrow! :/

Is this message just because the On Board Computer thinks an oil service is due (as i didnt tell the car id changed the oil)? If so how do i reset this? Or for future, how do i tell the car that ive serviced it?

Or is it likely to be something more serious??

pacman67 Jan 25th, 2017 18:24

Too much oil after your oil change, common issue, should not be filled to max more like 3/4.

bobsy852 Jan 25th, 2017 18:41

I made sure it wasnt as i learnt from this last time! Only put 6.5l in.
If i drop some out of it will it just go out?

I wont get chance until perhaps tomorrow to take some out. Reckong it'll be okay for a couple hundred miles? :/

Tatsfield Jan 25th, 2017 19:55

It's possible that on your journey the DPF underwent a regeneration and, as apparently happens with this crazy system, put excess unburnt diesel fuel unto the oil sump. That's going to be the only way the sump can fill rather than deplete. If 6.5 l is 75% that would mean the sump holds 8.7 l. Is it that much? You need to drop the level before the crankcase over-pressures due to excess oil. Also I always worry about the lubricating quality of oil diluted 3:1 with diesel. Sorry to be so cheerful. :rose:

Scooser Jan 25th, 2017 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsy852 (Post 2226774)
I made sure it wasnt as i learnt from this last time! Only put 6.5l in.
If i drop some out of it will it just go out?

I wont get chance until perhaps tomorrow to take some out. Reckong it'll be okay for a couple hundred miles? :/

6.5 litres is far too much. Practise is to put 5.75 litres in now (3/4 on dipstick), but I ask my garage to put in 5.5 litres, as I had this message a couple of years ago with 5.75 litres after many months of driving due to leave build. If it's been near if Volvo dealer for a service in the last few years there should be a sticker as you lift the bonnet stating full no more than 3/4 of dipstick.

Since putting in 5.5 litres (this gives a level of 50% on dipstick) I never have a problem even if the level builds a little due to multiple failed DPF regens.

When I had a problem of high oil level, I sucked out 500 ml using a windscreen washer tube pushed down the dipstick hole (a trick I learned on here). After about 10 miles or so the dash light went out on its own accord without any reset.

bobsy852 Jan 25th, 2017 23:20

Thanks all! I dropped some oil out tonight so it's about 1/4 of a way up the dipstick. Couldnt measure exactly how much i dropped out. Drove it 40miles back from my friends house late this evening and the service message is still up. I'll check the oil level before i set off tomorrow but I think it should be right now! Hopefully the message will clear in the morning. If not I guess i'll get the codes read at the weekend. At least now I know i dont have too much oil in!
5.7litres noted for future oil changes though. Thank you!!

Not a fan of the fact that it would seem it's tried to do a DPF clean in the earlier part of this week either when all my journies have been short ones about town. From today through to sunday it'll be on a 45mins minimum motorway journey each time it's turned on! I wish i could tel it when to start a regen!!!

bobsy852 Jan 25th, 2017 23:23

What i meant to ask was presumably the message doesnt clear as soon as the oil level is reduced? Or should it?
Im expecting it to go away when i switch it on one time over the next couple of days....

Simon Jones Jan 25th, 2017 23:39

I think you need to get the codes read to find out what's going on. The owners handbook will give you guidance on what the messages indicate, but typically you get something like 'TIME FOR REGULAR SERVICE' for normal scheduled maintenance for an oil change whereas 'ENGINE STSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED' means there is a fault that needs to be rectified. Fault messages generally disappear after a number of on / off cycles have taken place after the fault has cleared.

Scooser Jan 26th, 2017 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsy852 (Post 2226923)
What i meant to ask was presumably the message doesnt clear as soon as the oil level is reduced? Or should it?
Im expecting it to go away when i switch it on one time over the next couple of days....

Have patience. My light did not clear immediately after the oil level was reduced, but after a day or two of driving.

Others on this forum advised me the light would clear itself after a bit of driving, when I posted the issue a couple of years ago, so it's common for the light it clear itself after a bit of driving once the oil level is reduced.

Should be no need to read codes or clear the light.

bobsy852 Jan 26th, 2017 11:28

THanks Scooster! I was going to get the codes read today but i'll give it to the weekend and see if it settles down.

It's had a good hard drive up to Morecambe this morning (4-5th gear m'way driving at 2.5-3000rpm) to hopefully clean out the DPF seen as it's obviously tried to do a regen earlier this week while i've been tootling around towns