Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   D5 engines 163bhp unreliable ???? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264509)

debcab06 Mar 5th, 2017 16:21

D5 engines 163bhp unreliable ????

Looking at the forum topics it would appear that the later 5 cylinder diesel engine in 163bhp form is no where near as reliable as the old 140bhp unit fitted prior to year 2000.

DISCUSS ::

Darlo 1 Mar 5th, 2017 17:50

Well mine is on 183000 miles now with no major issues so i wouldn't call it an unreliable engine, most car forums tend to have posts about problems, not many people post about nothing going wrong.

cheshired5 Mar 5th, 2017 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by debcab06 (Post 2243661)
Looking at the forum topics it would appear that the later 5 cylinder diesel engine in 163bhp form is no where near as reliable as the old 140bhp unit fitted prior to year 2000.

DISCUSS ::

The above is nonsense so there's nothing to discuss. :)

Dancake Mar 5th, 2017 18:13

Reliability is definitely not an issue with these engines.

Thassos Mar 5th, 2017 18:37

D5

Bulletproof.... was the comment a volvo technician gave me when I asked, assuming they would see enough to know, and 50k miles later I would agree, neglect to replace stuff or do routine servicing and I'm sure you could generate some expensive repairs, the aux belt and its friend the tensioner would be in that camp...,

but the engines are good be they 163, or 185 variants..mostly they are running at low rpm and a fraction of total power so I think that's a positive factor over smaller engines where they are worked harder at higher rpm

debcab06 Mar 5th, 2017 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2243708)
The above is nonsense so there's nothing to discuss. :)

If this is indeed nonsense, then why are there so many problems clearly evident on the forum? Page after page!..........Surely then, there must be some questions to be asked.

cheshired5 Mar 5th, 2017 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by debcab06 (Post 2243743)
If this is indeed nonsense, then why are there so many problems clearly evident on the forum? Page after page!..........Surely then, there must be some questions to be asked.

They just need routine maintenance, quality parts and a small understanding of how the D5 works.
I have 2 D5s with a combined mileage of 370000miles so that's where my opinion comes from.

Unless I'm mistaken, your opinion sounds like it's coming from reading forum posts.

Bonefishblues Mar 5th, 2017 21:19

Quote:

Because Forum.

Because Forum people typically bring queries questions and issues.

Because Forum don't post and say "another 25k mile year and zero engine issues with overall 48mpg" (except I just did)

BillDD5 Mar 5th, 2017 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonefishblues (Post 2243817)
Because Forum.

Because Forum people typically bring queries questions and issues.

Because Forum don't post and say "another 25k mile year and zero engine issues with overall 48mpg" (except I just did)

+1

Also the later 185hp D5. We ran ours for 5 years and 120k miles with nothing more than maintenance - never, ever let us down.

Desperate Mar 5th, 2017 22:25

Quote:

One question I would ask is, do you know how many engines there are out there that don't have problems?? until you know that it is difficult to draw any conclusions.

Desp