Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   D5 (D5244T to 2005) turbo problem? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=44477)

simc Sep 21st, 2007 21:39

turbo problem?

Hi all

First post here so grateful for advice. S60 D5 89,000miles broke down with to coolant loss due to perished/split hoses,(wife stopped when warning message came on). Car recovered to local garage who replaced the coolant hose assembly, O-rings etc. The car now runs rough and has no power. There is no turbo "kick" at all. Took it back and they tightened the hose from turbo to air box, which made a small improvement, but car is still only 60% power. They say it is a coincidental failure of "something else" as they only removed coolant hoses and the turbo hose for access.

so....

Could it be something simple (EGR valve/ O2 sensor?)
Could the very temporary loss of coolant have lead to turbo damage?
Has the local grease-monkey got in out of his depth and screwed up?

Please send advice/ ammo for Monday's "where do we go from here?", meeting.

Cheers!:Dancing_chief:

Clan Sep 21st, 2007 22:01

sounds like they may have taken a turbo hose off and not put it back properly and it has blown off with the pressure ... perhaps ...

simc Sep 21st, 2007 22:32

Thanks clan

Have checked all hoses- seem to be secure and tight. As far as i can see from above.

RoyMacDonald Sep 22nd, 2007 01:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by simc (Post 293237)
Hi all

First post here so grateful for advice. S60 D5 89,000miles broke down with to coolant loss due to perished/split hoses,(wife stopped when warning message came on). Car recovered to local garage who replaced the coolant hose assembly, O-rings etc. The car now runs rough and has no power. There is no turbo "kick" at all. Took it back and they tightened the hose from turbo to air box, which made a small improvement, but car is still only 60% power. They say it is a coincidental failure of "something else" as they only removed coolant hoses and the turbo hose for access.

so....

Could it be something simple (EGR valve/ O2 sensor?)
Could the very temporary loss of coolant have lead to turbo damage?
Has the local grease-monkey got in out of his depth and screwed up?

Please send advice/ ammo for Monday's "where do we go from here?", meeting.

Cheers!:Dancing_chief:

Which engine and year is it? Later ones have the turbo cooled by coolant to protect it from damage after driving on the motorway and stopping suddenly for some reason. Like to get fuel or because you've got a problem.

simc Sep 22nd, 2007 11:59

hi

not sure of the engine type, but it's a 163bhp on a 52 plate

RoyMacDonald Sep 22nd, 2007 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by simc (Post 293441)
hi

not sure of the engine type, but it's a 163bhp on a 52 plate

It's an early one then. So no cooled turbo unit. It is possible it got damaged when you lost coolant, they are a bit vunerable to heat under certain conditions, hence the introduction of the cooling.

Looks like you may need to do some investigaing to sort this one. What does the ECU say?

simc Sep 22nd, 2007 22:38

OK..

time to show my ignorance.... ECU?:hissyfit:

Viper_7 Sep 22nd, 2007 22:44

ECU = Electronic Control unit. there's actually several of them, but think what is meant is are there any fault codes showing.

Unless your wife was booting it, you shouldn't have any problems with the Turbo regarding over heating.

I'd still be inclinded to check the hoses again.

When you say your down on power - do you actually hear the turbo pick up?
or is there just nothing?

Vipes

milo-rambaldi Sep 22nd, 2007 23:17

it sounds to me that the car is in safe mode u will need to reset the ecu

im sure some one on here can tell u how to do it i cant rember the code
basicaly it shut every thing down just so u can limb the car home so that would be my gues as the fault on no boosed

RoyMacDonald Sep 22nd, 2007 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viper_7 (Post 293675)
ECU = Electronic Control unit. there's actually several of them, but think what is meant is are there any fault codes showing.

Unless your wife was booting it, you shouldn't have any problems with the Turbo regarding over heating.

I'd still be inclinded to check the hoses again.

When you say your down on power - do you actually hear the turbo pick up?
or is there just nothing?

Vipes

It's the sudden stop from a high speed that has been known to cause an overheating problem with the turbo.

I think the safe mode tip could be good one though.