Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   140/164 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   LPG Conversion (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=272412)

Billy Smalls Sep 6th, 2017 10:43

LPG Conversion

Hi All

I am very seriously looking to install LPG into my May 1970 144 Auto. Currently a single Stromberg (with the yellow coffin shaped temp compensator) with a recently fitted unleaded cylinder head by KG Tunning (bought from Brookhouse), 123 ignition and no alteration to the camshaft.
I’m not looking for performance, simply cost saving. Currently spending approximately £200 a month on fuel, so looking to roughly halve that figure.
I have a few questions that I hope some of you may be able to answer. Also just after general comments from anyone who’s had this work done.

1. Do you need to get this done by a licensed installer?

2. Does it count as a modification, as far as insurance is concerned? If so, would it add to my premium?

3. Is ‘duel fuel’ the norm? I’ve heard that they prefer to cold start with unleaded and then switch to LPG once warmed up.

4. Cost?

5. I understand a hole will need to be inserted into the panels for the hose
and a switch at the dash? Any other major holes or cutting?

6. I’m near Bristol – any recommended installers?

Thanks all

classicswede Sep 6th, 2017 15:05

In the UK DIY installing is allowed. Your insurance may require a inspection certificate or uklpg registration.

You must notify your insurance but it is not considered a modification.

Dual fuel is only normally used on diesel engines. Petrol engines are bi-fuel allowing you to switch between fuels. With a carb engine you will normally start on LPG and just let the engine warm a little before pulling away.

Cost for a fitted conversion allow between £800 and £1200

For the filler I normally mount it under the rear bumper so you can fill from either side and save drilling the wing. Switch on late 140 I fit it to one of the switch blanks or on early cars into the center console. I have hidden one switch in the ash tray!

As to installers I suggest speak to a few and pay them a visit.

Volvorama Sep 9th, 2017 20:39

Complete

I have a very early 164 with LPG. Drove it to current resting place a while ago. I'll sell you the whole car, it's actually not too bad and worth putting back on the road

Billy Smalls Sep 10th, 2017 21:33

What's the bodywork like and those all important panels?

Volvorama Sep 11th, 2017 19:11

Better than you'd expect. It's so early there are no headrests, sunroof or power steering! Sills, arches reasonable. Wings and nose very good as I recall. I think the screen surround is good too. Dark green manual overdrive and it did all work. PM me and I'll give you a number to call. I believe it is among, if not the oldest around. 1968 G. I can't give it away because of the value of the bits but I'd like to see it be of use to someone.