Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   V70: Body 2012 V70 Water Leaks (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=301436)

Noel Paterson Dec 11th, 2019 01:23

2012 V70 Water Leaks

Hi I have a 2012 V70 purchased about 20 months ago with 46k miles and a full Taggarts Volvo Service History. Sorry to post a new thread, but all previous references to this issue seemed to be a few years old..

I have serious water leaks:
Parked nose-downhill in heavy rain, water drips through the fron interior light above the windscreen. (Only every so often)
Parked nose-uphill water flows into the front passenger compartment on the left handside near the door (scuttle?) and also near the contre console (Blower box?). The water penetrates while the car is stationery with no fan or AC blowing, so I'm not suspecting the AC drain.

I have removed the carpets and seats to discover the foam under the carpets is totally saturated. The bare floorpan on the passenger side was dried out yesterday. Following a day of Scottish downpours about another 4 litres of water has collected.

I'm suspecting the windscreen seal and I've called National Windscreens for a quote for removing and refitting this. Also suspecting scuttle drains? Does anyone have any experience of these?

I'd be grateful for any help with this, and will gladly share any solutions I find.

Thanks

Noel

Noel Paterson Dec 11th, 2019 01:43

2012 V70 Water Leaks

PS I don't have a sunroof...

Thanks

Peter86 Dec 11th, 2019 07:45

Check the windscreen, known issue for the sealant not binding the windscreen properly. Volvo may do it free under warranty if it is that. Known to cause flooding of the front carpets.
As for the boot I had the same issue, where the hinges are the water pools and gets in through the hinge opening or around the edge of the hinge. I purchased some self adhesive 15mm D shape door rubber seal and put it across the top of the boot behind the hinges (roof side) and a bit extra going down the sides by the lights just to keep the water away as much as possible. I found just a strip across the top the water still got round the edge and slowly pooled so do one whole length and a bit down to the lights as precaution.
If you want any pictures drop me a private message with your email and I'll send some pics for you.

Noel Paterson Dec 11th, 2019 10:53

Thanks very much Pete. I’ve booked National Windscreens to refit the screen and see if that helps. I’ll try to send you a private message with my email if I can work out how! Unable to do that because I’m not authorised to private message an Administrator because I have fewer than 30 posts? Anyway I don’t mind disclosing my email here.. It’s noel@zoomtastic.co.uk

Noel

ExCee70 Dec 11th, 2019 16:10

Well known issue with the poor primer on the screen where the sealant goes.

Not long had my 2012 XC70 screen resealed due to ingress of water from the top of the screen.

Done FOC at Holdcroft Volvo in Stoke where my car is serviced.

apersson850 Dec 11th, 2019 16:22

My 2012 XC70 had the windscreen replaced, for free, for the very same reason. Discovered the problem when I was in the UK, actually.

Noel Paterson Dec 13th, 2019 11:07

Thanks

Thanks to members who have privately messaged me. Unfortunately I have apparently too few posts to be authorised to send private messages, so I've been unable to reply directly. Due to having stripped out the interior of the car to dry the satuated carpets it isn't driveable so National Windscreens are coming to me to refit the screen.

pacman849 Dec 18th, 2019 18:45

Late 2012 V70 with windscreen leaking at top seal

Seems I have the same problem. The Windscreen on my 2012 V70 SE Lux has started leaking along the whole of the passenger side. This looks like a known "batch" problem with V70 or XC70 models in 2012, judging by the number of people here who have complained, and there is a risk that all 2012 V70 and XC70 models could have the same issue.

Surely Volvo should repair this for free as a manufacturing fault?? I have just received a quote for £360 to reseal it by Autowindscreens, which seems hugely excessive, seeing as they will not actually be replacing the glass, just resealing it.

I think this is a Main Dealer discussion...seems there are many of us with similar problems.

Thoughts?

pacman849 Dec 18th, 2019 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noel Paterson (Post 2580425)
Thanks to members who have privately messaged me. Unfortunately I have apparently too few posts to be authorised to send private messages, so I've been unable to reply directly. Due to having stripped out the interior of the car to dry the satuated carpets it isn't driveable so National Windscreens are coming to me to refit the screen.

Would be good to know how you got on, and what you ended up having to pay out, if anything, seeing as this seems to be a known manufacturing fault.

Noel Paterson Dec 21st, 2019 17:11

V70 leak fixed??

Yes, thanks to everyone on the forum - it looks like this has been caused by a poorly sealed windscreen, and it now appears to have been fixed.

I didn't originally suspect the windscreen, especially as there was never any water running down the inside of the screen. By the time I realised it probably was the screen (thanks to the forum), we had already stripped out the interior to remove the seats and the soaking carpets so the car wasn't driveable, and I wasn't able to get it to a Volvo dealer. So I called National Windscreens to come to me. They quoted about £90 to remove and reseal the screen, but said they would bring a spare in case it wasn't possible to remove the screen without breaking it. And yes of course it broke, so it cost £309 to have new screen fitted. With hindsight I should probably have gone to Volvo.. But at least my car now shows no sign of water ingress, since the screen was replaced. It looks as if the seal along the top of the screen was letting water in which was then running down the inside of the A pillars at each side and coming out in the footwell. Before getting the screen fixed, with the carpets stripped out, I dried the car thoroughly. After heavy rain overnight, I had to bail out 5 litres of water from the passenger side the next day. So it was a massive leak. And since having the screen replaced, there's no more water! I just need to wait a bit longer for the carpets to dry out thoroughly before putting it all back together...