Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Battery problem? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=106831)

tomto147 Oct 12th, 2010 13:00

Battery problem?

Hi guys,

today in the morning my XC60 (2 months old) was found "dead" in my garage, after standing there for a bit over week time with no milage done. The battery was completely drained and I had to call Volvo Assistance to help me start the engine. I am sure that no interior lights were on during this time and the car was properly closed. The only thing that I left inside was my iPod connected to USB.

Do you think this small toy could cause the battery to drain completely?

Tom.

Wildoskar Oct 12th, 2010 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomto147 (Post 757581)
Hi guys,

today in the morning my XC60 (2 months old) was found "dead" in my garage, after standing there for a bit over week time with no milage done. The battery was completely drained and I had to call Volvo Assistance to help me start the engine. I am sure that no interior lights were on during this time and the car was properly closed. The only thing that I left inside was my iPod connected to USB.

Tom.

I would be suprised if the USB could drain the battery but am no expert.

I had a similar issue with my previous car (Freelander 2), about two years ago, I returned to the car after about 4 days to find out it was dead, so dead I could not even open the doors (nothing was conncted to the car and all doors were closed, no lights on etc). Landrover assit came out and got it started (battery was completley drained). Local dealer had car for a day to try and determine the fault which in the end related to a faulty tailgate switch. It seemed odd to me that a swicth could cause such a drain but they assured me that was the problem and I bever had the problems again

scooter79 Oct 12th, 2010 13:31

I have found with my v70 when i bought it i had a battery problem i don't do alot of miles a year maybe 1500-2000 miles so there was days i didn't use it and would have the same problem so i replaced the battery thinking that was it but after alot of research online and spoken to a mechanic friend he said because volvo are armed to the teeth they can drain batteries after a few days especially if they are fully armed and not driven for days so i went out and bought one of them solar chargers and stuck if in the rear window

wimorrison Oct 12th, 2010 15:25

I have left my car (XC60) at the airport for 3 weeks and it has started with no issues - and that is with the full alarm system running. I used to leave the v70 there for extended periods, longest was 6 weeks and the car always started without any issues - the handbrake wasn't as keen to release once, I suspect that was my fault as it had pulled it on a bit hard :)

The battery should not drain in such a short time - several months yes, but in a couple of days, no way - and I am sure that the USB and power sockets are switched off when you switch off the ignotion (except the boot power socket), therefore I don't see them as causing the issue either.

Get Volvo to check it out.

tomto147 Oct 12th, 2010 21:46

So now I have double checked it... it was not the iPod to drain the battery. The power supply to USB port is beeing cut off when I stop the engine and open the door. There is now sign of charging battery on iPod screen. So it was not that. I'm sure its not normal to drain the battery in one week, I would understand a period of over 1 month but not a week. Will investige in this matter and let you know.

Thanks for all your hints.
Tom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomto147 (Post 757581)
Hi guys,

Tom.

XC60KEV Oct 13th, 2010 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomto147 (Post 757944)
So now I have double checked it... it was not the iPod to drain the battery. The power supply to USB port is beeing cut off when I stop the engine and open the door. There is now sign of charging battery on iPod screen. So it was not that. I'm sure its not normal to drain the battery in one week, I would understand a period of over 1 month but not a week. Will investige in this matter and let you know.

Thanks for all your hints.
Tom.

I've noticed that you need the ignition on to charge from the 12V socket in the front which is fair enough. You can however play the radio/CD/USB without the ignition on or key in at all. If an IPod or USB stick is in the USB socket and car is switched off I would imagine this would charge/read it but only as long as the radio was on. Does the radio cut out after a certain amount of time?

It does seem strange.......

wimorrison Oct 13th, 2010 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by kj5cott (Post 758174)
I've noticed that you need the ignition on to charge from the 12V socket in the front which is fair enough. You can however play the radio/CD/USB without the ignition on or key in at all. If an IPod or USB stick is in the USB socket and car is switched off I would imagine this would charge/read it but only as long as the radio was on. Does the radio cut out after a certain amount of time?

yep - phone, radio, usb everything cuts aff after about 5 mins

tomto147 Oct 13th, 2010 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by kj5cott (Post 758174)

It is true what you are saying but unless you open driver's door. When ignition is off and you open the door then radio, nav and everything is off. Ther is no power in USB and 12v sockets.

And by the way there is a safety radio switch off after I think 30min of playing without ignition on and with driver's door closed.

PP1098 Oct 14th, 2010 11:52

Yeap exactly the same here. Brand new XC60 drained battery in 3 days (just came back from dealer for SRS Airbag message problem). no lights left on, nothing. Also another guy here had the same with exaclty same model. In his case they blaimed a fan which stays on in case you leave children in car... go figure

They changed the battery and looks ok now. They blaimed a faulty batch of batteries (maybe.. think so.. most probably).

Interesting thing is that SRS message no longer appears (without them doing sth really)..Not sure if related

You are not the only one which means you probably havent done sth wrong.

P

Afirmo Oct 26th, 2010 10:12

I have the same problem ...

I have the same problem three times already.
I bought the XC60 end of July but due to holiday I only used one month after.
And the battery was completely death. The second and third time on September and October and after 4 ou 5 days not using the Volvo.
The dealer says that is my fault because I'm not using the car offen ...
I complained to Belgium Volvo representative and I'm waiting for a reply.
I will keep you posted but for sure that I will need a new battery.
Cheers.