Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   XC70: Engine Snapped Drive Belt (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=271264)

Bulleidboy Aug 5th, 2017 18:37

Snapped Drive Belt

The Alternator/Aircon drive belt snapped today on my 2010 D5 XC70, resulting in a loss of everything. Power steering failed, and every message in Volvo's vocabulary came up on screen. Luckily the traffic was quiet, and I was just joining a roundabout. I managed to get round the roundabout and into a bus stop lay-bye. AA took about 45mins to arrive, and the guy was able to get and fit a new Volvo replacement belt. He said he had not come across this before in a seven year old, 63K mileage car. I had my last Volvo for twenty four years and this never happened. Is it just one of those things?

GrahamBrown1 Aug 5th, 2017 19:38

You dodged a bullet, I would do the lottery tonight as this more times than not ends up taking the Cambelt with it meaning curtains for your engine. Have you not had the aux belts replaced at 56k miles as per the service schedule?

Scooser Aug 5th, 2017 22:00

^^^^What he said. You are a very lucky.

A quick search will illustrate that this forum is littered with many examples of the aux belt taking out the cam belt. An Achilles heel for this type of engine if you do not replace the aux belt and tensioner at the high frequency that is demanded.

Clan Aug 5th, 2017 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 (Post 2305535)
You dodged a bullet, I would do the lottery tonight as this more times than not ends up taking the Cambelt with it meaning curtains for your engine. Have you not had the aux belts replaced at 56k miles as per the service schedule?

Part of the 54000 mile service actually , but also are the recalls up to date ? it may still have the hydraulic tensioner .
VERY LUCKY Man There ...

Finbo Aug 6th, 2017 08:58

Isn't the alternator/air con belt mentioned by the OP different and separate to the aux belt?
Not sure what the recommended change time is for this belt, but it failing at 63k seems rather low.
I agree though a check needs to be done to ensure the aux belt has been replaced at 54k though.

Clan Aug 6th, 2017 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finbo (Post 2305646)
Isn't the alternator/air con belt mentioned by the OP different and separate to the aux belt?
Not sure what the recommended change time is for this belt, but it failing at 63k seems rather low.
I agree though a check needs to be done to ensure the aux belt has been replaced at 54k though.

Yes the AC belt is a narrow stretch belt , designed to break easily if the AC pump seizes .. It is changed with the cambelt .

Simon Jones Aug 6th, 2017 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2305656)
Yes the AC belt is a narrow stretch belt , designed to break easily if the AC pump seizes .. It is changed with the cambelt .

Slightly off topic: @Clan, what's the serpentine belt replacement schedule for the 3.2 SI6 engine pls? The car is 10 yrs / 89,000 miles and I've no paperwork to show if previously changed.

Clan Aug 6th, 2017 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Jones (Post 2305671)
Slightly off topic: @Clan, what's the serpentine belt replacement schedule for the 3.2 SI6 engine pls? The car is 10 yrs / 89,000 miles and I've no paperwork to show if previously changed.

well:

If it is a 2007 model year it is 10 years or 108000 miles
2007 MY 6 cyl renew auxiliary drive belt, tensioner, idler, clutch & guide pins

If it is a 2008- Model year then 10 years or 144000 miles
2008 MY 6 cyl renew auxiliary drive belt, tensioner, idler, clutch & guide pins -

The rubber coupling between alternator and drive gear must be changed at 144000 miles or 15 years which ever is first ..

Bulleidboy Aug 6th, 2017 13:10

As were talking belts, I bought this car last year from a well known Volvo dealership in the south. It had 55K on the clock, with one lady owner (honestly) and the booked was stamped regularly (annually) since new. However there was very little paperwork to back this up. The dealership said the cambelt needed replacing at 10years or 100K+ miles, I'm not yet close, but am wondering whether to have the cambelt changed so that I have something to work from in the future. Am I wasting money or is it a good idea?

Simon Jones Aug 6th, 2017 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2305704)
well:

If it is a 2007 model year it is 10 years or 108000 miles
2007 MY 6 cyl renew auxiliary drive belt, tensioner, idler, clutch & guide pins

If it is a 2008- Model year then 10 years or 144000 miles
2008 MY 6 cyl renew auxiliary drive belt, tensioner, idler, clutch & guide pins -

The rubber coupling between alternator and drive gear must be changed at 144000 miles or 15 years which ever is first ..

Thanks Clan :). I'll get the belt and associated bits changed in the next week or so.