Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Trolley jack points and axle stand places (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=290705)

griston64 Jan 16th, 2019 13:29

Trolley jack points and axle stand places

1 Attachment(s)
As title suggests. Now I've pretty much done all my stuff that doesn't require going underneath it's time to get a trolley jack and axle stands

Attached is image of underside ( not my car ) with points marked in red.

Attachment 118009

Can anyone advise where they position trolley jack and axle stands when lifting front and rear of car ?

Cheers , Mark

Laird Scooby Jan 16th, 2019 15:16

Any of the places marked with a red circle on your pretty picture Mark. However, if like mine, the jacking pad is missing from the front crossmember, DON'T jack on it!

As for axle stands, most places similar, you can see when you're under the car the chassis/floorpan is reinforced with extra metal around the jacking outriggers, you can usually find somewhere to fit an axle stand on them.

On the back end, if yours is an estate you'll have a live axle (no halfshafts as in the picture) so you can jack under the diff and then use axle stands on the axle, preferably as far to the outside as possible for stability.

If the wheels are coming off for whatever you're doing, put the wheel under the hub you've removed it from with the outside of the wheel up, if you don't have space to do that placeit as near as possible under the closest jacking point so that if for whatever reason the axle standa fails, slips or whatever, you still have some vital room to get yourself out.

Lastly, if you're only removing one wheel at a time, don't forget to chock the diagonally opposite wheel! :thumbs_up: ;) :D

jpliddy Jan 16th, 2019 18:43

940 tdi auto 1995

sorry dave do you mean place a axel stand front and rear on the same side not just in one place as this can cause something to twist propellor shape
regards jim

Laird Scooby Jan 16th, 2019 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpliddy (Post 2485638)
sorry dave do you mean place a axel stand front and rear on the same side not just in one place as this can cause something to twist propellor shape
regards jim

Don't quite get what you're asking Jim? :err:

aardvarkash10 Jan 19th, 2019 04:38

axle stand under the location where the vehicle weight transfers to the wheel, or the nearest structural location. Wide as possible as Dave says, and DEFINITELY place a wheel or a timber block (not concrete or brick) as Dave suggests.

Never trust a mechanical device, least of all one that is supporting 1500kg while you lie under it.

jpliddy Jan 19th, 2019 09:27

940 tdi auto 1995

Hi all i always use axel stand plus trolley jack still in place just
A just jack so load is on both of them!

griston64 Feb 14th, 2019 08:16

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry for being such a noob about this Dave etc :regular_smile:

Are you saying to jack the rear up on the diff as in my little pic ?

Attachment 118546

Cheers Mark

Laird Scooby Feb 14th, 2019 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2495509)
Sorry for being such a noob about this Dave etc :regular_smile:

Are you saying to jack the rear up on the diff as in my little pic ?

Attachment 118546

Cheers Mark

That's the one Mark - i use a hockey puck between the trolley jack pad and the diff, partly for cushioning, partly so it doesn't slip.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Galvanise...S/362216225785

It also gives you an extra inch of lift which is helpful. ;) :D

griston64 Feb 14th, 2019 08:37

That extra inch makes all the difference :shocked::shocked:

It's all a bit Finbar Saunders this morning :regular_smile::regular_smile:

Cheers Dave. Puck ordered !

Laird Scooby Feb 14th, 2019 08:48

Ooooo-errrr missus! :err: