Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   1994 940 Wentworth estate (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=311224)

Teanah Oct 27th, 2020 00:56

1994 940 Wentworth estate

Does anybody know of where I could get a replacement clock cluster? 🤔 Mine has burnt out across the ABS light connection & so is currently an MOT failure.😢 I've found a couple on Ebay but they're in Lithuania & Germany! I have had no real problems before. It's been a shock that it's an obsolete part.

Laird Scooby Oct 27th, 2020 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teanah (Post 2676294)
Does anybody know of where I could get a replacement clock cluster? 🤔 Mine has burnt out across the ABS light connection & so is currently an MOT failure.😢 I've found a couple on Ebay but they're in Lithuania & Germany! I have had no real problems before. It's been a shock that it's an obsolete part.

Can you post a photo? I suspect yours may be fixable easily but can't bring it to mind at the moment.

NI_Volvo_Nut Oct 27th, 2020 10:14

I've one here from a 95 car, if you want to send me a pick of the rear of your cluster I can compare them.

AndyD345@btinternet.com

Andy

timtillson Oct 28th, 2020 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teanah (Post 2676294)

I have two from a 1995 940 2.3. ( note no turbo gauge) One where the speedo unit has broken which you can have for the cost of postage or one that works for say £50 ? Tim

Teanah Oct 31st, 2020 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by timtillson (Post 2676804)
I have two from a 1995 940 2.3. ( note no turbo gauge) One where the speedo unit has broken which you can have for the cost of postage or one that works for say £50 ? Tim

Thanks for responding!

I'm after part no: 9130054 (turbo) or it's equivalent. The ABS light circuit has burnt out on mine so MOT failure.

Teanah

Teanah Oct 31st, 2020 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2676325)
Can you post a photo? I suspect yours may be fixable easily but can't bring it to mind at the moment.

Thanks for responding!

I'm after part no: 9130054 (turbo) or it's equivalent. The ABS light circuit has burnt out on mine so MOT failure.

Teanah

Forrest Nov 19th, 2020 21:04

Prior to 1995 the 940 instrument clusters only covered relatively short model runs. It took me over a year to track down a working 1994 cluster when I needed one.

The ABS light fault is quite likely a broken PCB ground track which is common with the adjacent warning lamps. I fixed mine at one stage by soldering a small piece of copper tape across the track. Others have used a small piece of wire to “jumper” across the fault. You may find this is easier and quicker than finding a replacement cluster.

You can access the offending track by removing all the warning bulbs (take a picture first so you’ll remember where they go) and then flipping out the bottom edge of the flexible PCB.

Laird Scooby Nov 19th, 2020 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forrest (Post 2683139)
Prior to 1995 the 940 instrument clusters only covered relatively short model runs. It took me over a year to track down a working 1994 cluster when I needed one.

The ABS light fault is quite likely a broken PCB ground track which is common with the adjacent warning lamps. I fixed mine at one stage by soldering a small piece of copper tape across the track. Others have used a small piece of wire to “jumper” across the fault. You may find this is easier and quicker than finding a replacement cluster.

You can access the offending track by removing all the warning bulbs (take a picture first so you’ll remember where they go) and then flipping out the bottom edge of the flexible PCB.

I've already suggested repair is the best option but been ignored. The common earth track to some warning lights has diodes linking the warning lights together including the no charge warning light, this gives the self-test facility on the ABS bulb at start-up. The bulbs are then linked via individual lines to the circuits they indicated a problem on. The other side of all bulbs is common to +12V ignition switched feed.