Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 Successful key repair (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=201489)

IainG Mar 19th, 2014 13:28

V50 Successful key repair

1 Attachment(s)
Hi
Info that might be useful for some. I have the 5 button key for my car and recently the open button has been playing up. Didn't want to pay for a new key and couldn't find a repairer.
The open button didn't make a click any more so I thought I would at least try and change the switch. Measured the pressure needed to cause the other switches to "click" found i needed a switch with a force of 4.5 N. Finally tracked some down and ordered 10. Only 60p each.
Opened up key fob.
Small soldering iron and removed old switch.
Replace with new switch. Bit fiddly as the switch is only 6mm x 3mm x 2mm
Only replaced the 1 broken one as I didn't want to push my luck with the PCB.
I have the other switches as spares and I could replace 1 in about 30 mins now if needed.
I think one of the problems is that i have my car set to "1 click open drivers door, 2 clicks to open the rest" The open switch is therefore getting used a lot more than all the others. have now reverted to "1 click opens all"
Now using my spare key for daily use and the repaired one is now the spare.
Hopefully photos next!
Iain

IainG Mar 19th, 2014 13:32

Having trouble with Photos so will add when sorted
Iain

IainG Mar 19th, 2014 13:47

6 Attachment(s)
Pictures hopefully

from left to right
Key in bits
New switch laid on PCB to show it is the same
Switch to be removed
Switch removed
New switch in
Size of switch on a penny
Hopefully some use for someone

Iain

pickleit Sep 15th, 2019 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by IainG (Post 1607238)
Hi
Info that might be useful for some. I have the 5 button key for my car and recently the open button has been playing up. Didn't want to pay for a new key and couldn't find a repairer.
The open button didn't make a click any more so I thought I would at least try and change the switch. Measured the pressure needed to cause the other switches to "click" found i needed a switch with a force of 4.5 N. Finally tracked some down and ordered 10. Only 60p each.
Opened up key fob.
Small soldering iron and removed old switch.
Replace with new switch. Bit fiddly as the switch is only 6mm x 3mm x 2mm
Only replaced the 1 broken one as I didn't want to push my luck with the PCB.
I have the other switches as spares and I could replace 1 in about 30 mins now if needed.
I think one of the problems is that i have my car set to "1 click open drivers door, 2 clicks to open the rest" The open switch is therefore getting used a lot more than all the others. have now reverted to "1 click opens all"
Now using my spare key for daily use and the repaired one is now the spare.
Hopefully photos next!
Iain

Where did you buy the switches from?

Thanks

kmb Sep 19th, 2019 08:59

Haven't had issues but very useful post as that's a common key fob for many of the cars on here :regular_smile:

IainG Aug 7th, 2020 19:46

Hi
Just for info the switches I used were

RS 516-079

Iain