Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Electrics: Re-enabling passenger airbag. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264884)

48valves Mar 13th, 2017 07:21

Re-enabling passenger airbag.

First post here, so hello everyone.

I purchased an 05 Ocean Race Edition yesterday. Lovely car for the money. Needs a bit of tidying up in places but otherwise its great.

The previous owner had the passenger airbag coded off due to them needing to put a child seat in the front.

Before I pay Volvo to turn it back on is there a way to do it myself?

Ive searched for thread about coding software (Dice I think) but I cant seem to find an answer to whether buying a reader and the software would enable me to turn it back on. Or even a definitive answer to what reader and software I would need.

I really need this doing quite urgently as obviously I want the airbag back on ASAP.

Thanks

stephenlumb67 Mar 13th, 2017 08:08

Hi there,

Not at car now but from what i recall, if you open passenger door you`ll see a place for your car key on the left, which is part of the dash. I thought you could use your car key to turn air bag on and off.

Cheers

nu11eaf Mar 13th, 2017 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by 48valves (Post 2247301)
First post here, so hello everyone.

I purchased an 05 Ocean Race Edition yesterday. Lovely car for the money. Needs a bit of tidying up in places but otherwise its great.

The previous owner had the passenger airbag coded off due to them needing to put a child seat in the front.

Before I pay Volvo to turn it back on is there a way to do it myself?

Ive searched for thread about coding software (Dice I think) but I cant seem to find an answer to whether buying a reader and the software would enable me to turn it back on. Or even a definitive answer to what reader and software I would need.

I really need this doing quite urgently as obviously I want the airbag back on ASAP.

Thanks

Does it not have a key switch on the passenger side edge of the dash (noticed when door open) all my XC90's had this, if so use ignition key to turn it back on.

48valves Mar 13th, 2017 09:09

There is no switch to turn off the airbag. Hence the previous owner had to have it coded off by Volvo.

It's £60 top get Volvo to turn it back on which is why I was thinking of getting a code reader and software and doing it myself if the cost wasn't too much more.

gmonag Mar 13th, 2017 11:06

Yes VIDA/DiCE will do the job. DiCE is the hardware that plugs into the OBD2 port. VIDA is the software and runs only on Win7 Pro. You can one online (eBay) or from cheshired5 on this forum. Cost, about £80.

foxhole Aug 13th, 2018 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by 48valves (Post 2247336)
There is no switch to turn off the airbag. Hence the previous owner had to have it coded off by Volvo.

It's £60 top get Volvo to turn it back on which is why I was thinking of getting a code reader and software and doing it myself if the cost wasn't too much more.

Have a key operated switch on my xc90 04 plate but regardless of being in on or off position bag shows as being off.

harveys Aug 13th, 2018 20:30

I would say dealer only as a software update is required. Chinese knockoff units and software cannot do software updates.

48valves Aug 16th, 2018 12:48

Hi all.

Forgot to update this with the solution.

After spending a couple of hours and £100 at a main dealer
who couldn't turn the airbag back on. (Not very happy)

I took it to an indie that a friend with an XC90 reccomended. He fixed it in 5 minutes. Apparently the wire to the airbag had been disconnected and then the error coded out.

Looks like the original dealer in Leeds were a bit naughty.