Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   V40 2000 won't start after replacing instrument panel lights (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286429)

rubricae Sep 14th, 2018 11:37

V40 2000 won't start after replacing instrument panel lights

G'day!

New here, joined the forums after discovering a handy guide for replacing the bulbs behind the instrument panel cluster.

Spent a few hours yesterday taking the necessary panels off under the steering to squeeze out the instrument cluster and replace the blown bulbs as for a long time I haven't been able to see my speed under 60km/h at night, as well as the lights behind the AC controls and some other accessories as a number had blown and never been replaced since new.

Replacing bulbs with LEDs was a success, but after bolting everything back together this morning I was unable to start the engine. The starter turns over but it won't catch. It's definitely not the battery as all peripherals are working fine, though I tried using a battery jump starter initially anyway to no success.

It's fair to say I'm a bit baffled - spent taking off panels again and seeing if I'd dislodged any wires or connectors along the steering column or key barrel but I can't see much evidence of anything out of place, other than a mechanical lever connected to the shiftlock override which was dangling when I opened up the steering covers initially (see pic). It's definitely not the immobilizer as I've got another dummy key with no chip which I tested, which successfully triggers the immobilizer on ignition and won't let the engine turn over, where as the normal programmed key will simply continue turning without starting.

https://i.imgur.com/nX1ei8G.jpg
I believe the part hanging down should be secured by a plate or something, but that wasn't there when I opened it in the first place.

A mate brought his bluetooth ODB2 tool over, but for some reason wasn't able to get any information from the ECU - the connection kept dropping and when it didn't it diagnosed 0 faults which is definitely wrong given I had a service 2 weeks ago and the mechanic informed me of a couple he wasn't able to solve related to the electronic systems.

I'm highly doubtful that it's anything in the engine bay that is wrong, as I've changed nothing in the last few days in there... but I could be wrong. I'm not massively knowledgeable in car related matters, so there's likely something I'm missing. Anyone have any ideas?

Model: V40 2000, 2.0L Auto

TLDR;
Changed instrument panel lights to LEDs, now car won't start - turns over but won't catch.

clarkey1984 Sep 14th, 2018 13:04

I could be wrong, but if that grey piece is the immobilizer antenna then in its current position it may be too far away from the key to read the chip contained inside said key when it's in the ignition, as I say I could be wrong though.

clarkey1984 Sep 14th, 2018 18:49

Ahh, just read properly, not that then, it does point to something maybe not plugged in properly or making good contact though, I only say that as when I had my instrument panel out I needed to just pull the car back slightly to let someone else get out of the drive, and trying to do it with the clocks out did the same as this, just spun over, so I had to plug everything back in, move the car 10 feet and then take it out again.

rubricae Sep 17th, 2018 00:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkey1984 (Post 2447644)
Ahh, just read properly, not that then, it does point to something maybe not plugged in properly or making good contact though, I only say that as when I had my instrument panel out I needed to just pull the car back slightly to let someone else get out of the drive, and trying to do it with the clocks out did the same as this, just spun over, so I had to plug everything back in, move the car 10 feet and then take it out again.

Yeah that's what I initially guessed however it's very difficult to ascertain what or where something is loose - I've checked every electrical connection to the instruments on the steering and can't seem to find anything out of place... :/

Think I'm just gonna have to get it towed to my local Volvo service.

JRL Sep 17th, 2018 01:11

I would try a few zip ties to clamp the bit that is hanging down back to where it should be. If only to rule it out.

Clan Sep 17th, 2018 12:14

The bit hanging down is the gearlever interlock , maybe it is not quite in neutral so will not start , clip it back in !

martin93 Sep 18th, 2018 16:54

Just a left field view here, but the fact it's actually cranking rules out anything to do with the auto gearbox inhibitor in my eyes, and I can't see anything behind the dash affecting the starting..... When was the timing belt last done?

difflock54 Sep 27th, 2018 10:49

Try resetting the ECU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN4-iTKTI2U