Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   S40 V40: V40 T4 PH1 water pump leak? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=295517)

Neil H Jun 8th, 2019 21:00

V40 T4 PH1 water pump leak?

I don't drive my car (1999 V40 T4 PH1) very much maybe once a week just a few miles and back with the occasional longer trips.
Today when i got home from a short drive i notice the cooling fans running for an excessive amount of time when i parked up which was unusual so I checked the coolant bottle and it was strangely empty, I topped it up with water and it took about a pint, seemed like the system was full to the bottom of the bottle or thereabouts.
I couldnt fathom how this had happened and i looked at the dipstick and in the oil filler cap for water in the oil in case it was a headgasket failure but there was no sign at all.
Later on I want back to the car and the coolant bottle was low again so i topped it up and decided to run it for a bit, it seemed fine and got up to temperature until the fan kicked in etc.
Then i looked underneath and what i initially though was just spillage water from me topping up actually looked like a pretty regualr drip.
The more i ran the car the drip continued.
I couldnt see exactly where it was coming from but it looked like from somewhere in the belts etc plastc housing.
So im thinking i have a leaking water pump, does that sound like a fair guess?
Looking at the sticker on the belt cover the belts were changed at 50 something thousand miles and the car is now on 70 thousand, ive read that water pums are usually changed when the belts are but i guess this one might not have been.
Can anyone give me a guestimate on the cost of getting the water pump replaced and better still a reputable place in london that would do it (presuming belt kit and tensioners would also be done at this point so would be extra cost) ive found pump and belt kits online for about £80 and i'm guessing maybe £200 labour? its just where to get it done and rather anoyingly i really need the car for a 2 hour drive on friday morning :(
Thanks to anyone who can throw some thoughts at it.
Cheers!
Neil

Clan Jun 8th, 2019 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil H (Post 2527071)
I don't drive my car (1999 V40 T4 PH1) very much maybe once a week just a few miles and back with the occasional longer trips.
Today when i got home from a short drive i notice the cooling fans running for an excessive amount of time when i parked up which was unusual so I checked the coolant bottle and it was strangely empty, I topped it up with water and it took about a pint, seemed like the system was full to the bottom of the bottle or thereabouts.
I couldnt fathom how this had happened and i looked at the dipstick and in the oil filler cap for water in the oil in case it was a headgasket failure but there was no sign at all.
Later on I want back to the car and the coolant bottle was low again so i topped it up and decided to run it for a bit, it seemed fine and got up to temperature until the fan kicked in etc.
Then i looked underneath and what i initially though was just spillage water from me topping up actually looked like a pretty regualr drip.
The more i ran the car the drip continued.
I couldnt see exactly where it was coming from but it looked like from somewhere in the belts etc plastc housing.
So im thinking i have a leaking water pump, does that sound like a fair guess?
Looking at the sticker on the belt cover the belts were changed at 50 something thousand miles and the car is now on 70 thousand, ive read that water pums are usually changed when the belts are but i guess this one might not have been.
Can anyone give me a guestimate on the cost of getting the water pump replaced and better still a reputable place in london that would do it (presuming belt kit and tensioners would also be done at this point so would be extra cost) ive found pump and belt kits online for about £80 and i'm guessing maybe £200 labour? its just where to get it done and rather anoyingly i really need the car for a 2 hour drive on friday morning :(
Thanks to anyone who can throw some thoughts at it.
Cheers!
Neil

Don't believe everything you read on the internet , It is certainly not the case . I have never known one of these water pumps leak with my daily workings on them in the 30 years since they were launched on the 960 engine ,
I would find out exactly where the leak is before you do anything . There is a long pipe running across the back of the engine which fits into the back of the water pump , that could have corroded through as the car isn't used much . Is ( was ! ) the coolant bright and clear and clean green/blue volvo coolant ?

Neil H Jun 8th, 2019 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2527079)
Don't believe everything you read on the internet , It is certainly not the case . I have never known one of these water pumps leak with my daily workings on them in the 30 years since they were launched on the 960 engine ,
I would find out exactly where the leak is before you do anything . There is a long pipe running across the back of the engine which fits into the back of the water pump , that could have corroded through as the car isn't used much . Is ( was ! ) the coolant bright and clear and clean green/blue volvo coolant ?

wow thanks thats a bit reassuring, yest the coolant was blue/clear no sign of oil or gunk.
I'll see if i can find that pipe, i'll see if my Vida software still works later and try and locate it.
I may be able to repair it myself before friday if it just a pipe replacment.:teeth_smile:
Thanks very much!

Clan Jun 8th, 2019 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil H (Post 2527080)
wow thanks thats a bit reassuring, yest the coolant was blue/clear no sign of oil or gunk.
I'll see if i can find that pipe, i'll see if my Vida software still works later and try and locate it.
I may be able to repair it myself before friday if it just a pipe replacment.:teeth_smile:
Thanks very much!

if it is the pipe you might find the turbo and manifold have to come off , it does on the 5 cylinder version . You need to pressurise the system with some kind of pump and see if it sprays out somewhere .

Neil H Jun 8th, 2019 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2527082)
if it is the pipe you might find the turbo and manifold have to come off , it does on the 5 cylinder version . You need to pressurise the system with some kind of pump and see if it sprays out somewhere .

Oh Jeez not a quick job at all then!

Neil H Jun 8th, 2019 22:20

Dont suppose you have any picture or diagrams of that area do you? my vida software isnt working, I'm trying to reinstall it now and sadly its getting dark so i cant really go poking around under the bonnet at the moment.

Clan Jun 8th, 2019 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil H (Post 2527083)
Oh Jeez not a quick job at all then!

well you don't know yet .... It isn't the cooant bottle cap or bottle itself leaking?

Neil H Jun 8th, 2019 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2527101)
well you don't know yet .... It isn't the cooant bottle cap or bottle itself leaking?

It's not the cap and I couldn't see any sign of it coming from the bottle anywhere.

Neil H Jun 9th, 2019 13:57

OK I got my Vida software working so now I can see what pipes are in that area, now I'm just going to have to wait until I can get some time to dig into it, it's only a drip like 1 per second at the moment but I need to do a 2 hour drive on Friday so don't think it's going to be worth the risk in trying to do it by stopping and refilling every 30 mins or so.
So looks like I'm going to have to waste some money renting a car in the meantime 😭

Neil H Jun 11th, 2019 12:57

Well, the leak is definitely coming from behind the belt cover as the water is coming out of the bottom of the cover so surely it has to be the pump or at least its gasket.
When i get back from my weekend away I'll have to try and get the cover off while still being able to run the car to pinpoint it exactly, but if the pump needs removing its going to be belts off job which i'm not sure i'm going to be able to tackle myself.