Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Electrical: Horn not working?... (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=202756)

JJKM Apr 6th, 2014 11:18

Horn not working?...

Hi all,

My horn has recently stopped working without warning... Not sure why though, have checked earth and connections are clean and fuse is good (everything else is working anyway). Has anyone got any suggestions before I start taking too much to pieces...

Stephen Edwin Apr 6th, 2014 11:57

Is there a relay in the circuit?

Have you tried a direct wire from the battery?

geoffo Apr 7th, 2014 22:15

two weeks....

Remove the steering column top cover by undoing the two screws (its the square-ish cover that fits above the indicator/wiper stalks) and check that the black wire is attached to the spade connector (I bet it has snapped:lightbulb:) that comes through the steering wheel bracket. If this is where the problem is let me know and I'll post pics of my fix.

.....two weeks is how long it took me to figure out where the fault was........

JJKM Apr 8th, 2014 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoffo (Post 1620950)
Remove the steering column top cover by undoing the two screws (its the square-ish cover that fits above the indicator/wiper stalks) and check that the black wire is attached to the spade connector (I bet it has snapped:lightbulb:) that comes through the steering wheel bracket. If this is where the problem is let me know and I'll post pics of my fix.

Thanks very much for the help, will try later today and let you know!

JJKM Apr 9th, 2014 21:44

Thank you very much for the help. Wasn't a broken wire after all, and still don't know. I cleaned the contacts you mentioned and it has since worked so hopefully, was just light corrosion! Thanks once again!

Clifford Pope Apr 10th, 2014 08:07

The horns take a high current with no relay, so are very dependent on excellent connections.
The terminals at the horns themselves are susceptible to corrosion because of their exposed position, and the connection and rubbing carbon contact inside the steering wheel hub is another weak point.

One overlooked point is the steering column universal joints. These have to take the earth return. There is supposed to be a coiled link-wire between each pair of clamp bolts. Often omitted, this can make a big difference to horn performance if all else fails.

Luky Jan 10th, 2017 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJKM (Post 1622171)
Thank you very much for the help. Wasn't a broken wire after all, and still don't know. I cleaned the contacts you mentioned and it has since worked so hopefully, was just light corrosion! Thanks once again!

How did u fix your horn? my volvo s40 horn and buttons on the steering wheel stopped working yesterday ;(
What did you do to fix it??

MrBric Mar 12th, 2018 00:11

Quote:

how did you fix the carbon brush thing?

truckertomnz Oct 25th, 2019 03:20

Quote:

I know this thread is old but so is my truck :D
I have the broken black wire but I can't see any spade, can't see where it possibly goes, please help

Clifford Pope Oct 25th, 2019 17:25

Doesn't it earth the switch pad to the top of the column? Then when you press the pad it completes the circuit through the spring-loaded pencil contact to the wire from the horns?

It's easy to break or pull the wire off when you prise off the pad - it's quite short, and the pad just dangles on the wire.