Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   New Sound System (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288566)

St James Nov 14th, 2018 14:00

New Sound System

Wanted an upgrade to the High Performance System, so had the following installed by Ultimate Audio in Bromsgrove:

Audison Prima AP 8.9 Bit DSP 520W Amp
Audison Voce Component Speakers (fronts)
Audison Prima Coaxial Speakers (rears)
Eton 10" Subwoofer
Skinz sound deadening and wave diffusers for front and rear doors
Speaker Adaptors, upgraded speaker cabling, etc.

Pictures of the fit are attached - have to say the service was exceptional from Karl at Ultimate Audio and the end result is an amazing sound quality now.

The system provides a rich depth of sound but with crystal clear mid and vocal range, and at all volume levels with no distortion.

The fact that you simply cannot tell from inside the car, as it's all to the OEM fittings, makes the final result even better.

J

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RnEVcX1gFTbajFYJA

benr7310 Nov 14th, 2018 22:22

Lokks like a good install! How much was it all?

St James Nov 15th, 2018 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by benr7310 (Post 2466800)
Lokks like a good install! How much was it all?

It was 2.5k

Iamdaniel Nov 17th, 2018 16:27

Very nice!

spaceman2844 Jan 26th, 2019 18:09

I've just diy fitted an Eton 10 subwoofer to the High performance system in my car. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade, really makes a difference. Now looking at maybe also doing a front speaker upgrade and possibly a Prima dsp amp too.

Dash300 Jan 27th, 2019 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by St James (Post 2467098)
It was 2.5k

:eek:If only I had 2.5k hearing.

St James Feb 28th, 2019 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman2844 (Post 2488989)
I've just diy fitted an Eton 10 subwoofer to the High performance system in my car. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade, really makes a difference. Now looking at maybe also doing a front speaker upgrade and possibly a Prima dsp amp too.

Spaceman,

The Audison Voce component speakers are absolutely incredible.

I highly recommend them.

Crystal clear top end and vocals at all volumes.

Cheers,

J

spaceman2844 Mar 2nd, 2019 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by St James (Post 2499767)
Spaceman,

The Audison Voce component speakers are absolutely incredible.

I highly recommend them.

Crystal clear top end and vocals at all volumes.

Cheers,

J

Thanks for the info about the speakers. I've just purchased an Audison AP8.9 DSP amp the same as your install but haven't decided on speakers yet.

I'm doing a DIY install, but I'm not sure if I need the additional ASP module to plug into the amp. Do you know whether your installer used this with your install? It's the small module that plugs into the connector on the lower right of the connection panel beside the input socket on the back of the amp.

Apparently this is only needed for only some installs using speaker level inputs, but I can't find any info online about whether the XC60 system needs this additional module.

Any advice would be great - I tried to see whether it was on your amp from your excellent photos, but it wasn't clear.

Cheers.

spaceman2844 May 26th, 2019 13:39

Just finished my DIY install.

Audison 8.9 amp (didn't need the ASP module), Audison Voce 2-way front components and passive crossovers with MDF speaker mounts, Eton USB10 active subwoofer, and retained existing Volvo co-axial speakers in rear doors.

Did the upgrade in stages over several weekends - trickiest part was fitting the Voce tweeters into the existing speaker housings.

All speaker wiring was achieved my modifying a Parrot bluetooth speaker adaptor harness to the rear of the underseat Volvo amplifier, this meant that I didn't need to splice into any of the existing speaker wiring (with the exception of the speakers in the front door). However required a fair amount of soldering to make up the new speaker input/output wiring looms etc.

Power supply for Audison amp and subwoofer was taken from the towbar electrics harness and fusebox in the cargo compartment so have a fused 30A and 15A supply respectively. This worked out well as amp and subwoofer are mounted in front of the spare wheel under the boot floor panel.

Fantastic improvement in sound quality and volume although I still need to fully tune the amp through the PC interface. I've got the speaker timings correct but still need to fine tune the equaliser and filter curves for the speakers

I'll try to upload some photos soon, and happy to give any further details if anyone wants to try the same DIY upgrade route.

Thanks to St James for your original posts and recommendation which helped with the purchase decision. Enjoyed the DIY install but probably not for everyone...

St James May 28th, 2019 12:16

Sorry I didn't get back to your earlier query - I didn't notice it I'm afraid.

Glad you like the Voce's.