Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   My 2010 V70 R-design progress thread (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=306904)

reggit Jul 9th, 2020 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by john493 (Post 2646052)
Yes Reggit - the tyres are load rating 98 & quite a bit more expensive than on the ph2 ! I got a pair of Avons using a Blackcircles.com discount code last week for £175 fitted -
225/50/17 98W

They’re 245/40x18 on the r-design!

reggit Jul 12th, 2020 08:42

1 Attachment(s)
Semi-unsuccessful attempt at a first autobox ‘sump dump’. Didn’t have the 17mm tool for the drain plug! Oops! Still managed to drain 1.5 litres through the level plug. Don’t know if this is due to the gearbox been overfilled, or more likely because the car is anything but level.

Anyway just replaced the same amount as what came out and ordered the correct tool.

Picture doesn’t really show the colour difference that well, but it is obvious in real life and the old stuff smells as well.

Suspect it’s the original 170,000 mile oil. If so it’s a miracle the box is still smooth, which I want to keep that way.

Hope to change another 3ish litres later in the week.

Stu B Jul 12th, 2020 09:45

Sounds like you’ve already ordered the correct drain plug tool, but if not then I found a Draper 38323 (£3.99 on eBay inc free postage) did the trick.

Good luck with the next attempt! :regular_smile:

reggit Jul 12th, 2020 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by reggit (Post 2646011)
Started thinking that it was likely one of these had developed a flat spot, causing the rubbing noise and shake.

It’s been in to have 2 more tyres fitted and the rubbing noise has gone. Won’t be able to get to a motorway to test it at speed for a couple of days, but I’m fairly confident it was a duff tyre causing the shake.

It’s now got 4 matches, reasonable quality boots on it (at £100 each!)

First proper run out today since I got rid of the nasty Chinese tyres, the car is transformed and behaving impeccably!

Happy me today. It does like a drink of diesel though, then I am comparing to an E3 D5 that I had previously. Don’t think anything could top that.

reggit Jul 17th, 2020 17:33

Got the sump plug tool mid week, just emptied 3 litres of extremely black and stinky oil out of the gearbox, and replaced it with nice red oil.

I’ll try and get another couple of changes in quick succession so most of the oil has been changed, then just drop the sump every engine oil change. Hopefully that will keep it smooth for a good long time.

Next onto my least favourite job, the paintwork needs a right good clay and polish. Debating whether to buy an electric polisher.

reggit Jul 26th, 2020 13:02

1 Attachment(s)
Had a look at the non-folding passenger side door mirror today. It had been getting on my nerves as it kept moving around on the pivot whilst driving.

Looking at the cars MOT history I could see that mirror was damaged in 2017 so was expecting a mess in the housing. Took the cover off and was pleasantly surprised to see everything intact, and even happier to note that the power connector to the motor wasn’t properly in place. See the orange connector on the picture.
Checked on a meter and 12v was present on folding the mirrors, pushed it properly home and it whirred into life with a few clicks and clunks as it aligned the mirror housing and it works perfectly. A 15 minute zero cost repair - I like that!

Down to one fault which is a short on one of the headphone sockets on the auxiliary audio panel for the rear seats, according to Vida. I’ll get round to looking at that just to get a clean fault scan.

reggit Jul 30th, 2020 17:46

1 Attachment(s)
Another 3 litres dumped out of the auto box, wonder if it will ever show signs of cleaner oil - that’s about 7 litres since I got the car. Have another few litres left so will run that through in a week or so then leave it until the next engine oil change.

Noticed the hose out of the bottom of the turbo is very squishy, I assume that’s past it’s best (going off my old P2 findings) so likely to get replaced in the next couple of weeks.

Kev0607 Jul 31st, 2020 00:44

You can use anything up to 12 litres flushing via the Gibbons method, depending on the condition of the original fluid. So, you probably need to do another two drain & fills at least to see the cleaner fluid coming through.

On a car with 170k, it wouldn't be uncommon for the need to use a lot of trans fluid before you start noticing the colour it should be (Particularly if there's no record of it being changed before by the previous owner). :regular_smile:

CarlW Jul 31st, 2020 22:24

Great thread interesting reading

Tatsfield Aug 1st, 2020 10:47

On this auto box the law of diminishing returns starts to apply after 3 dump and fill cycles.