Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Start and release parking brake suddenly need foot-brake (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=328070)

CptKernow Oct 4th, 2022 19:00

Start and release parking brake suddenly need foot-brake

Just had the master cylinder replaced on my 2016 V60 D4. First thing I noticed was I couldn't start the car, then I spotted it said "depress clutch AND foot brake". It definitely didn't need this before.

In addition when I tried to pull away the car stalled. Not only has the auto-parking brake release stopped working, but I now have to press the foot-brake to release the parking brake too.

I was half wondering if these were options for the automatic version of the V60.

Anyway, if anybody could tell me whether this is normal for their V60 and if it is possible to set it back to the way it was.

Thanks.

rxtian Oct 31st, 2022 09:56

I have an auto and the parking brake automatically disengages when I accelerate as long as the driver's seatbelt is on.

I've never tried releasing the parking break without my foot on the driving brake.

It does sound like something has been upset (maybe a plug forgotten) and the car is in a bit of a failsafe - I'd take it back to whoever did the work... how can you do a hill start in a manual if you have to manually release the parking brake while your foot is on the driving brakes?

Clan Oct 31st, 2022 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by CptKernow (Post 2848738)
Just had the master cylinder replaced on my 2016 V60 D4. First thing I noticed was I couldn't start the car, then I spotted it said "depress clutch AND foot brake". It definitely didn't need this before.

In addition when I tried to pull away the car stalled. Not only has the auto-parking brake release stopped working, but I now have to press the foot-brake to release the parking brake too.

I was half wondering if these were options for the automatic version of the V60.

Anyway, if anybody could tell me whether this is normal for their V60 and if it is possible to set it back to the way it was.

Thanks.

what was wrong with the master cylinder? I have not heard of as master cylinder fail on a volvo for the last 30 years . maybe an incorrect diagnosis ?

CptKernow Oct 31st, 2022 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2854173)
what was wrong with the master cylinder? I have not heard of as master cylinder fail on a volvo for the last 30 years . maybe an incorrect diagnosis ?

You were right there. Wasn't the master cylinder, turns out it was the slave, so much bigger job...

It also seems that the master cylinder they put in was faulty. Not sure exactly what is included with this but it seems like there is a switch for detecting when the clutch is engaged.

Anyway, everything has been replaced and all back to working as before.

Now I have the problem that it has been sitting around for so long that the auxiliary battery is playing up...

Clan Oct 31st, 2022 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by CptKernow (Post 2854181)
You were right there. Wasn't the master cylinder, turns out it was the slave, so much bigger job...

It also seems that the master cylinder they put in was faulty. Not sure exactly what is included with this but it seems like there is a switch for detecting when the clutch is engaged.

Anyway, everything has been replaced and all back to working as before.

Now I have the problem that it has been sitting around for so long that the auxiliary battery is playing up...

you wont have a problem with the AUX battery it leads a very easy life , Your main battery may be sulphated which seems more common the last few years with the lack of use etc..
It will need at least a 48 hour continuous charge at just over 15 volts and they normally recover. ( a normal battery charger is unlikely to produce 15 v) A variable voltage and current bench power supply does the job. set it to one or two amps ...