Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   C30 Electrics : Random Right Indicating and indicating with main beam (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=226969)

Samson3208 Apr 2nd, 2015 21:28

Random Right Indicating and indicating with main beam

Hi,

I'm new here so apologies for my first post being a problem. I bought my first Volvo 4 months ago and, while it's been brilliant, it's developed a fault on the way home today. It's a 2007 C30 and it started to randomly indicate right while I was driving home. It did it while I was turning and while I was driving in a straight line but it always indicated right.

When I got home I did some checking and found that it also started indicating right when I flicked the main beam on and kept going when I flicked it off. It also switches on when I flash the lights too.

Now, I figured it was either the indicator stalk or the relay. Could anyone who has had a similar fault or a knowledge of Volvo electrics offer any advice on this?

Thanks all in advance

Sam

SonyVaio Apr 3rd, 2015 21:21

I'd say you have a stalk problem.

The fix will probably be a new stalk. Not too hard to change really, you can always pick up a 2nd hand one from a dismantlers if cost is an issue.

:star-wars-smiley-01

Finalansa Jun 17th, 2019 15:46

Can this also have an effect on battery drain? My 2007 C30 has also just started doing this and has now started showing 'Power System Service Urgent' warning on display. I've done a power test to confirm if its the battery or the alternator. Alternator seems to be fine but the battery does a big dip in power when turning ignition on. Warning light comes on after approx 1 mile into a drive

Clan Jun 17th, 2019 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samson3208 (Post 1886348)
Hi,

I'm new here so apologies for my first post being a problem. I bought my first Volvo 4 months ago and, while it's been brilliant, it's developed a fault on the way home today. It's a 2007 C30 and it started to randomly indicate right while I was driving home. It did it while I was turning and while I was driving in a straight line but it always indicated right.

When I got home I did some checking and found that it also started indicating right when I flicked the main beam on and kept going when I flicked it off. It also switches on when I flash the lights too.

Now, I figured it was either the indicator stalk or the relay. Could anyone who has had a similar fault or a knowledge of Volvo electrics offer any advice on this?

Thanks all in advance

Sam

It will not be the stalk if only the one right hand indicator flashes , it could well be if both front and rear flash . However when you mention main beam problems at the same time i would suspect the CEM under the glove box with the fuses in . Disconnect battery and take it out , unplug all the plugs and look carefully at the pins in the sockets for corrosion . Plug it all back in and it might be ok due to the cleaning action of the plugs going back in .

LizardOfBodom Jun 18th, 2019 10:19

+1 for the actual stalk issue, IMHO. Symptoms would indicate more mechanical problem than CEM, atleast thats where I would check first. If contacts are loose and trigger indicator move (even very short connection will trigger 3-flashes from indicator) so it may look like "constant" problem where it just touches every so often...

iainmd Jun 19th, 2019 07:09

Luckily the stalk is a walk in the park to replace and isn't very expensive. I did ours recently when one touch indicating in one direction stopped working.