Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Front caster (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=311027)

morsing Oct 20th, 2020 09:21

Front caster

Hi,

For some reason very difficult to find information on, but does anyone know if caster is adjustable on a V70? Paid 159gbp for a wheel aligment at Volvo and caster is off both before and after on the front left.

Thanks

Kev0607 Oct 20th, 2020 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by morsing (Post 2674529)
Hi,

For some reason very difficult to find information on, but does anyone know if caster is adjustable on a V70? Paid 159gbp for a wheel aligment at Volvo and caster is off both before and after on the front left.

Thanks

Bring it back to them. If you've paid for a job & it hasn't been done right, then they should rectify it.

Tatsfield Oct 20th, 2020 11:49

There is no adjustment for caster angles but if there is sufficient tolerance in the top mount bolt holes and the subframe mounting bolt holes, you can at least balance angles between the two sides to make the angles equal if not exactly within spec. If you use a quality tyre shop for adjusting your steering geometry using a precision jig, ask them to do it when they are adjusting the rest of the settings. Some cars have "wiggle room" on the mounting bolt holes and some don't. Some racing shops will sell you adjustable top mounts for caster angle for track use but I don't know if the expense it worthwhile for road use or if any are made for the V70.

morsing Oct 20th, 2020 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2674553)
Bring it back to them. If you've paid for a job & it hasn't been done right, then they should rectify it.

What kind of an answer is that? If you don't know, you don't have to post. Go for a walk and get some fresh air instead.

morsing Oct 20th, 2020 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatsfield (Post 2674563)
There is no adjustment for caster angles but if there is sufficient tolerance in the top mount bolt holes and the subframe mounting bolt holes, you can at least balance angles between the two sides to make the angles equal if not exactly within spec. If you use a quality tyre shop for adjusting your steering geometry using a precision jig, ask them to do it when they are adjusting the rest of the settings. Some cars have "wiggle room" on the mounting bolt holes and some don't. Some racing shops will sell you adjustable top mounts for caster angle for track use but I don't know if the expense it worthwhile for road use or if any are made for the V70.

Thanks for the elaborate and helpful answer.

Kev0607 Oct 21st, 2020 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by morsing (Post 2674587)
What kind of an answer is that? If you don't know, you don't have to post. Go for a walk and get some fresh air instead.

A simple, self explanatory one. No rudeness was intended, nor did I tell you to "go for a walk & get some fresh air" instead of posting because you didn't know the answer either :shocked:. Although, one could say that maybe you should take note of your own post & do exactly that, as it seems you were quick to reply with a sarcastic/smart comment. :teeth_smile:

I would have thought that if you paid £159 for a job to be done & it wasn't done correctly, or to what you required, then the logical step would be to phone/visit the garage for them to have a look at the job they didn't do right in the first place? If I paid you £159 to do a job on my car & it wasn't done right, I'd be on the phone straight away, or visiting you to get it rectified as swiftly as possible when convenient. That's the point I was making, as I don't like to see people paying for things, then having issues/noticing something is off afterwards due to the job they requested not being done properly in the first place. Yes it happens regularly, but its a farce at the same time.

To be honest, you paid more than enough for the alignment. £159 is expensive, as other non-Volvo garages that have Hunter alignment machines do it for around £70-£80, but Volvo probably charge more for the job because they're a dealership with high operating costs. You're well within your right to go back to the garage for them to look at your car again (hopefully, without a charge) & get them to have another look.

Just to reiterate, I'm not being rude, I'm just offering my opinion. Do as you please, its your car at the end of the day.

Tatsfield Oct 22nd, 2020 14:30

I don't think I'm wrong about the caster non adjustment so however much the charge was, it couldn't have included setting the caster angle so there probably isn't much to be gained by complaining to the garage. I have found over the years that if a parameter of the steering geometry isn't listed as adjustable, fitters just leave it alone. It takes an exceptional garage to offer to equalise the out of spec caster settings on both sides as this is not a listed adjustment.

37 RUBY Oct 23rd, 2020 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by morsing (Post 2674529)
Hi,

Thanks

Just a few thoughts..

a)Is your top mount on the n/s in good order ? i.e. Does it sit the same as the offside when viewed from under the bonnet?

b)Has there been any recent dismantle and rebuild of your front suspension during which componentry may have inadvertently assembled in correctly?

C) Has there been any accident or impact damage putting geometry out?

Cars of old used to adjust caster with shim washers of varying thickness between the leading edges of the hub carrier and the strut lower housing. I don't think our P3 platform has such luxury.