Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   V70 Engine Undertray Missing - Issue or not? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=123121)

cosworthy2000 Apr 26th, 2011 18:27

V70 Engine Undertray Missing - Issue or not?

Getting ready to change the gearbox oil and B4 servo cover on my 52 V70, so thought I'd stick my head underneath and ID things. I was expecting to remove the engines undertray/cover, but found there us not one fitted. The mountings etc are there, so I asume at some point it was removed for a service and never refitted.
Question is, is it an issue, not having one? I've had the car 3+ years, and as far as I know it's been missing the whole time.
New one on ebay is £54 to the door, maybe a good investment??

Ta

Brendan W Apr 26th, 2011 18:49

Bought my v70 D5 used from main dealer with no tray fitted - been that way for at least 4 years now and not even an eyebrow raised.

Rover Saloon Apr 26th, 2011 20:02

engine undertray

I've had my S80 from new on a W plate (2000). No engine tray when supplied do reckon that they were not fitted for some reason around that time.

magnus308 Apr 26th, 2011 22:06

Many Volvos here in Sweden was delivered without the undertray and if my petrol Turbo S60 would had one installed it would be the first thing i would remove and put to garbage.

bogart Apr 27th, 2011 07:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosworthy2000 (Post 893829)
Getting ready to change the gearbox oil and B4 servo cover on my 52 V70, so thought I'd stick my head underneath and ID things. I was expecting to remove the engines undertray/cover, but found there us not one fitted. The mountings etc are there, so I asume at some point it was removed for a service and never refitted.
Question is, is it an issue, not having one? I've had the car 3+ years, and as far as I know it's been missing the whole time.
New one on ebay is £54 to the door, maybe a good investment??

Ta

Had same situation. Went and picked one up from the guy last week. Was mentioned on here that later on Volvo stopped fitting them. Must admit I do like them as they catch any minor oil drips before they mess the drive up.

Bernard333 Apr 27th, 2011 08:50

I agree with the points already made about the engine undertray , if like me you change the oil by draining through the sump plug then its a pain to remove it each time but Volvo must have had a good reason to put it there in the first place . My 2001 V70 T5 was driven into a drainage ditch running along the side of a country road ( by a thief ) at high speed . The front near side wheel dropped into the ditch and a rock split the wishbone in half , the car slid on the undertray for a further 40 or 50 yards with the wheel folded up inside the wheel arch similar to the way Morris Minors used to look when the trunnions snapped . The undertray took the full weight of the car and although its got a few holes and cracks it saved it from being a write off , it may have also saved the car from being flipped over had it been able to dig in without an undertray to slide on . Its probably not the most common way a car gets damaged but for me I can see the value of keeping the undertray in place , before this happened I have posted comments in favour of dumping it but this incident changed my mind .

chiptivo Apr 27th, 2011 14:33

I understand the D5 required the undertray for noise pollution reasons, and to meet some sort of regulation. So, it is dependant on the engine and age.

hobbyhorse Apr 27th, 2011 18:28

Drop a bolt & you'll be glad the undertray is missing (unless you're parked over a drain)