Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   11 THINGS US VOLVO DRIVERS DO..BUT WOULD NEVER ADMIT TO (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=12636)

Scott Stephen Apr 17th, 2004 19:43

11 THINGS US VOLVO DRIVERS DO..BUT WOULD NEVER ADMIT TO

11 Things us Volvo drivers do…….But would never admit to!!!!!!!

1. When starting a 2/7/9 series it is not unknown to give the car some throttle to emphasise the whoosh from the cooling fan, making the car sound powerful to passers by.

2. 2/7/9/8 series owners looking down their noses at 3/4 series owners at traffic lights.

3. Intentionally parking your rust-free 14 year old 7/9 series next to a wrecked old 14 year old Vauxhall/Ford in a supermarket car park.

Gracing the unfortunate owner with a cheeky smile is not unheard of either!

4. Racing SAAB owners off the lights.

5. Listening to ABBA/Ace Of Base etc. whilst driving to get that truly authentic Swedish experience.

6. Getting great pleasure in telling everyone how many miles your car has covered trouble-free – Especially when asked your mileage by a fast fit centre.

7. You cant drive a 2/7/9/8 series estate unless you have a full load sagging the rear end and hogging the middle lane of the M6 at 85 mph.

8. Insist on showing off the heated seats to new passengers and telling them how they come as standard with ALL Volvo’s.

9. Lying about how good the fuel economy is for such a big car.

10. Intentionally twitching the rear end on corners – (Especially turbo’s) claiming to your passengers that the road must be greasy.

11. Showing off your plastic clip on the windscreen for parking meter tickets.

mraldonnelly Apr 17th, 2004 23:34

RE: 11 THINGS US VOLVO DRIVERS DO..BUT WOULD NEVER ADMIT TO

You've put some thought into that Scott and I can relate to many of them.

"Showing off your plastic clip on the windscreen for parking meter tickets."

LOL

"Racing SAAB owners off the lights."

Well no, I've never tried that. I can't say I've noticed any Volvo drivers try to race me off the lights in my 900 Carlsson either. I guess because they know they'd be humiliated!

"Insist on showing off the heated seats to new passengers and telling them how they come as standard with ALL Volvo’s."

LOL again. I usually switch the passenger seat on just before a passenger gets in so they have no option but to mention it to which my usual response is "Oh I do wish they'd fitted the seat heaters with a weight sensor so it only activates when someone is sitting in the seat - god only knows how long that's been left on for!"

Andy

Bob Apr 18th, 2004 12:50

I can relate to number 1. My old 244GLE had a viscous fan and the coupling failed at one time, therby locking the fan on permanently. Did nothing for fuel consumption, but what a tremendous sound when reving through the gears. There is no sound like it, and it so characteristic of the 200/700/900 models. That is the one thing I miss with my T5..it's too quiet.

Bob Isaac
Forum Admin
robert.isaac@volvoclub.org.uk

George Holmer Apr 18th, 2004 14:04

My 900 has an electric fan, ;(

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/Signature.JPG]

'95 940 Polar LPT estate (B230FK/AW71)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler estate (D24TIC/ZF22)
'79 262C (B27E/BW55)

Ben O Brien Apr 18th, 2004 14:30

When i bought the 242 the fan cowl was missing so no "whoosh" sound,
I made sure when i put this engine in that i put in a fan cowl,
The sound is fantastic and so unique, i had thought about an electric fan conversion but then i thought about it and for the sake of 2mpg i like the noise too much so the viscous coupling is staying.

Networkguy Apr 18th, 2004 21:44

Hey!

Theres nothing wrong with Ace Of Base :)

T4ASB Apr 19th, 2004 09:26

I love the passenger trick with the heated seat. Time it just right and it takes a few minutes for the realisation to sink in, or wonder have they wee'd themselves?(or both!)

Definately like the plastic clip, doesn't stop my wife sticking them in the middle of the screen though!

Could also try:

Grinning at other B&Q shop goers as you load an entire bathroom suite into the boot and drive off, with a passenger, in comfort.(Listening to Roxette)

I think we are also allowed to park on the pavement by the door at IKEA, works for me.

Also, trained my Labrador to give a cheeky grin out of the tailgate window to the 3-series driver 6 inches behind, before leaving them for dead up the motorway slip road.

v6en Apr 19th, 2004 11:09

>3. Intentionally parking your rust-free 14 year old 7/9 series next to a wrecked old 14 year old Vauxhall/Ford in a supermarket car park.

Don't you mean park next to a wrecked 4 year old vaux/ford? they scarecely seem to survive beyond that age ;)

>4. Racing SAAB owners off the lights.

I'll race anything off the lights }(

>6. Getting great pleasure in telling everyone how many miles your car has covered trouble-free – Especially when asked your mileage by a fast fit centre.

God bless Volvo!

>8. Insist on showing off the heated seats to new passengers and telling them how they come as standard with ALL Volvo’s.

My volvo has NO toys :( but that's ok as it makes it faster :9

>9. Lying about how good the fuel economy is for such a big car.

It actually IS good; but not so big as it's only an iccle S40.

>11. Showing off your plastic clip on the windscreen for parking meter tickets.

I would like to thank you as hitherto i had NO IDEA what that bl**dy clip was for :)

jacqueline.

deanrosc Apr 19th, 2004 11:40

i would like to echo jacquelines thanks as i didn't have a clue wot the clip was for. And i must say i am guilty of almost all the points except sitting in the middle lane. That bugs the hell out of me. Clear motorway for miles and some numpty sits in the middle making people go round them.

Matt_Watkins Apr 19th, 2004 19:52

I too often wondered what that clip thing was for.

Anyhow, I have to agree about the racing the SAAB owners from the lights bit.