Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Volvo s60 vs Tesla model 3, crash test (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=275631)

chelle_belle Dec 2nd, 2017 23:46

Volvo s60 vs Tesla model 3, crash test

Watched a youtube clip on the Volvo s60 and Tesla model 3 being crahed tested (side impact / pole), The Tesla looks in better shape- but would you be in better shape on the inside? The owner of Tesla takes a jab at Volvo"s safety. I can not put a link up as unsure how to do it.

Craig.

Harvey1512 Dec 3rd, 2017 08:30

I don't know if they are taking a jab at Volvo. More that Volvo are the industry leaders in safety and if Tesla can match them at least then that gives Tesla huge credibility.

steadvex Dec 3rd, 2017 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvey1512 (Post 2343853)
I don't know if they are taking a jab at Volvo. More that Volvo are the industry leaders in safety and if Tesla can match them at least then that gives Tesla huge credibility.

this is the real reason for it, the S60 is deemed or at least was at the launch the safest car in the world.

In my eyes currently from a safety point of view for your loved ones if you can afford it you either but a Volvo or a Tesla!

Checkout the videos of tesla's reacting to real world collisions, amazing tech in the car, for the first time in automotive industry I believe Volvo is playing catch up to another brand, er at least in crash avoidance situations.

abby606 Dec 3rd, 2017 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by steadvex (Post 2343867)
this is the real reason for it, the S60 is deemed or at least was at the launch the safest car in the world.

In my eyes currently from a safety point of view for your loved ones if you can afford it you either but a Volvo or a Tesla!

Checkout the videos of tesla's reacting to real world collisions, amazing tech in the car, for the first time in automotive industry I believe Volvo is playing catch up to another brand, er at least in crash avoidance situations.

The Tesla's ability to use its radar to see the car ahead of the one in front is braking heavily and take appropriate action (still not sure how that works!) would be a welcome addition to the Volvo AEB.

Though my Volvo once warned me about a stationery car hidden behind a hedge on a blind bend - was quite impressed with that.

Bendolfc Dec 3rd, 2017 18:54

You can't judge it by looks. Modern cars are designed to disintegrate to a point to absorb the energy of the impact.

owyn Dec 3rd, 2017 23:52

This is an interesting one

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

In the slo-mo you can see the passenger cell flex a lot more in the Tesla than the Volvo.

I personally think it's fantastic that safety technology is progressing so quickly and I think Volvos commitment to not have a serious injury in one of its cars by 2020 or whenever it was (I can't remember the date) is amazing.
I think the brand has found a real lease of life under its new owners and I can't wait to be back in one.

The Thong Dec 4th, 2017 21:05

A little healthy competition to who’s got the safest car can’t be a bad thing.

steadvex Dec 4th, 2017 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Thong (Post 2344454)
A little healthy competition to who’s got the safest car can’t be a bad thing.

makes a welcome change from companies only doing it because they are being dragged in line with the others! :thumbs_up:

I-S Dec 4th, 2017 22:02

I'm not sure that the untrained eye can tell too much from crash test videos (except of course in cases of really gross failure where the entire passenger cell is crumpled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbe5ILICT4M). A car that is totally rigid isn't very good in a crash because the energy of the impact is not absorbed, merely transferred (to the occupants).

That is not to say that Teslas aren't safe - they are, extremely. So are Volvos.

In fact, almost every car these days is extremely safe. There's very little on the market with anything less than 3 NCAP stars, and most cars are 4 or 5. Compared to even a "good" car from the mid-90s, you are FAR safer today (Sorry 900 owners, but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBDyeWofcLY - in fairness, the crash structures of the 900 date back to the early 80s, and compared to pretty much anything else of its day that's a very good result, but modern cars are a level above).

Volvo's stated goal that no-one should be killed in a new volvo from whenever it is is very laudable. It might be unachievable because there are certain things you can't possibly design for (eg getting between two 44 tonne artics that are having a head-on. No matter what car you're in in between them, you're dead), but having the goal is noble, and it's a good thing to have a high target that no one thinks is achievable (Tesla know this well!). Even if you don't make it all the way, you make it further than anyone thought you would or could.

As for which I'd rather be in?

Sorry, but I want a Tesla. I've been driving my Leaf and my V70, and each time I'm in the Leaf I miss the V70 seats and ride. Each time I'm in the V70, I miss the tranquility, smoothness and instant responsiveness of the Leaf. Until Volvo give us a BEV, Tesla is the one.

CTCNetwork Dec 8th, 2017 18:32

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I always wondered where the large lump of an engine that is in the Volvo 940 went.
The engine is attached to the two steel beams each side of the engine going to bump stops to which the bumper is attached.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

But that aside, most modern cars are made from "high strength steel" so less equals what used to be more. Advent in Volvo of the 850 and the transverse engine improved safety, so they say.
And the crumple is designed - to abzorb energy. Just see the crash test for the Smart. That hardly deforms at all. But I wouldn't like to be in one!

But when compared to its equals, volvo always won!

+ YouTube Video

Des. . . ;)

AndyJudge Dec 14th, 2017 16:31

Yeah but is there not a major risk of the Tesla going into BBQ mode. A La the Car that Richard Hammond crashed. Or the Boeing 787/ Galaxy note issues.