Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Power tailgate not shutting properly XC60 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288974)

adambsmith Nov 24th, 2018 23:38

Power tailgate not shutting properly XC60

The power tailgate is not shutting properly on my 67 (new shape) XC60.

It’s that last click that seems to be missing. Not all the time but becoming more frequent.

Anyone else experienced this?

I did report at it service during October but it seems anything the dealer did do didn’t work.

Ringthane Nov 25th, 2018 04:42

When you say the last click, do you mean when the tailgate shuts, and the mechanism draws the tailgate tight against the body?

adambsmith Nov 25th, 2018 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringthane (Post 2469900)
When you say the last click, do you mean when the tailgate shuts, and the mechanism draws the tailgate tight against the body?

Yes exactly that.

volvocamper Nov 25th, 2018 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by adambsmith (Post 2469920)
Yes exactly that.

Do you have a boot mat and if you do has that slipped towards the back of the car and is preventing it closing fully?

Ringthane Nov 26th, 2018 00:26

I had this issue, or what I thought was an issue, with my previous XC60.

I was convinced that the closing mechanism wasn’t working properly, so when it went in for a service, I mentioned it as a fault.

The dealer gave it back, after the service, and told me that it was working properly.

I monitored it for a month and found that it wasn’t consistent in drawing the tailgate closed. Sometimes it would do it, sometimes it wouldn’t. It was obvious when it did draw the tailgate in tighter, because I could both see it and hear it working. However, in either case, the tailgate never rattled, or showed obvious signs that it wasn’t closed properly.

In the end I stopped worrying about it, but reading your post has caused me to check every time I close the tailgate now.

adambsmith Nov 27th, 2018 06:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvocamper (Post 2469934)
Do you have a boot mat and if you do has that slipped towards the back of the car and is preventing it closing fully?

No, don’t have a boot mat but thanks.

adambsmith Nov 27th, 2018 06:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringthane (Post 2470190)
I had this issue, or what I thought was an issue, with my previous XC60.

I was convinced that the closing mechanism wasn’t working properly, so when it went in for a service, I mentioned it as a fault.

The dealer gave it back, after the service, and told me that it was working properly.

I monitored it for a month and found that it wasn’t consistent in drawing the tailgate closed. Sometimes it would do it, sometimes it wouldn’t. It was obvious when it did draw the tailgate in tighter, because I could both see it and hear it working. However, in either case, the tailgate never rattled, or showed obvious signs that it wasn’t closed properly.

In the end I stopped worrying about it, but reading your post has caused me to check every time I close the tailgate now.

At least the car tells me that it’s not shut but it’s starting to become annoying as it should be press button and forget re the tailgate closing.

Ringthane Nov 27th, 2018 06:42

Yes, agreed.

Could it be a strut issue, i.e. the motorised strut doesn’t bring the tailgate fully closed, thus showing the tailgate as still open?

This might account for the car showing the tailgate as open and therefore not trigger the grab mechanism in the lock assembly.

Another possibility is that the micro switch that tells the car the tailgate is closed is faulty, or incorrectly positioned. Either way, it has to be fixed by the dealership. Intermittent problems though, rarely manifest themselves when you need them to.

adambsmith Nov 27th, 2018 20:02

Agreed re intermittent faults!

adambsmith Dec 11th, 2018 08:57

Currently at the dealer who is looking at the tailgate issue.

This morning, it wouldn't close properly twice (cold and damp morning - not freezing though).

Get to the dealer, and the problem can't be replicated.

Master tech asks if doors were open when I closed the boot. Pretty sure they weren't as I went straight to the boot to give it a go. He suggests some air pressure/suction issue??

He's gone back to take another look but they won't replace any parts at this stage as none found to be faulty.

I think I'll have to keep a diary of when it doesn't shut properly.