Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   New M.O.T. live from today.Will it kill off the old Volvo? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=282030)

Veefor May 20th, 2018 09:27

New M.O.T. live from today.Will it kill off the old Volvo?

I’m more than a bit concerned about the new emissions testing for diesel cars.
From a purely selfish view I own 2 850tdis and a 940tdic.The 940 smokes quite a bit and the 850s are ok I think.
All of them do not have Dpfs so they can’t be failed for removal or tampering but they do smoke a bit.
Are they destined to be scrapped?Such a waste,great cars all of them.
Also what can I do to get them through mot,anything I can do to help.
I would be sick to see them scrapped.
Any ideas please?
Thanks.

Darlo 1 May 20th, 2018 17:18

Only cars with a dpf that emit any visable smoke will fail the emmisions test portion.

jpliddy May 26th, 2018 20:25

940 tdi auto 1995

hi i too have a 940 tdi 1995 i change the oil and filter at 5000 miles a week before the mot i always change the air filter . just before i take car for mot i take it for a run and give it a bit of higher revs to clean out the soot and drive it into the test centre keeping engine hot if i can its always worked and had no emission fails in 18 years and 255000 miles now . do put a shot of millers diesel clean in tank with every fill up i buy it in 5 litres costs a bit but lasts years
good luck when is mot?

Bonefishblues May 26th, 2018 22:49

No, why would it?

Tannaton May 27th, 2018 00:19

I think most diesel cars that fail the fast acceleration particle test do so because of residual deposits in the exhaust rather than combustion issues.

New or old, give it a good hard thrashing on the way to the testing station.

davebb May 27th, 2018 22:37

Hi I have not got a dpf or any smoke, but still give car a good run before mot as they are only Half a mile away,
if the car is running correctly it should not smoke,
also put a clean air filter in, as if it is blocked it will make the car smoke.
Dave

davebb May 27th, 2018 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpliddy (Post 2407874)
hi i too have a 940 tdi 1995 i change the oil and filter at 5000 miles a week before the mot i always change the air filter . just before i take car for mot i take it for a run and give it a bit of higher revs to clean out the soot and drive it into the test centre keeping engine hot if i can its always worked and had no emission fails in 18 years and 255000 miles now . do put a shot of millers diesel clean in tank with every fill up i buy it in 5 litres costs a bit but lasts years
good luck when is mot?

emission fails, They only test for smoke, so your car is running well,
Dave

dingov70 May 28th, 2018 12:33

MOT tester here ( again ) , Right the revised diesel emissions tests WILL NOT affect your cars , IF they passed on their last tests , they should pretty much do so this time . The testing limits we use will remain as they were last year .

For vehicles first used before 1 July 2008, the limit will be one of the following:

the level specified on the manufacturer's plate
2.5m-1 for a non-turbocharged engine – if it's not stated on the manufacturer's plate
3.0m-1 for a turbocharged engine – if it's not stated on the manufacturer's plate

For vehicles first used between 1 July 2008 and 31 December 2013, the limit will be one of the following:

1.5m-1 – if it's not stated on the manufacturer's plate

For vehicles first used on or after 1 January 2014, the limit will be one of the following:

0.7m-1 – if it's not stated on the manufacturer's plate

If the smoke level is displayed on the VIN plate, it will be a number, usually in a box (as below), and often positioned in the bottom right corner of the VIN plate.

( The emission value is found in a square box on VIN plate normally & that is new testing limit )

As others have commented , get the engine up to temp , give it a good razzing & LEAVE IT RUNNING when you get to test centre .

The people who need to view the new regs with concern are those who drive only a couple of miles , park up & let engine go cold . Reverse the journey & never drive above 30MPH ( little old folk collecting pensions & town commuters ) in their common rail engined wonders .

Ignore media manure heap

cardiomike Aug 9th, 2018 12:14

a good run every week if you only do short journeys is good for any engine-helps prevent anything building up.ie more than half an hour at decent revs -that a dual carriageway/a roads at least out of town

cheshired5 Aug 9th, 2018 12:46

As has been said, nothing has effectively changed.
My 16 year old 200k+ miles diesel fast passed with a 0.6X figure as it does every year and will continue to do so.