Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   New tyres after 11k miles on my XC60. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=294159)

Supra Edd Apr 24th, 2019 14:04

New tyres after 11k miles on my XC60.

I bought my XC60 awd last May, the MOT at the time said that I needed new rear tyres, so the Volvo dealer replaced them for me - all good!

I just had a service and its MOT (at a different Volvo dealer), those new tyres are already down to 2mm so already need replacing (withing a few weeks no doubt). The tyres put on are 'Royal Performance' a quick search and I find they are a whopping £79.99 per tyre haha.

On the fronts I have Pirelli Scorpion Zero, these have 2.4mm left, and have a date of 2015 on them. I suspect these are the originals, so have so far done 42k miles.

No suprise that a generic £80 tyre is doing badly compated to a Pirelli £180 (£180 on black circles, the Volvo dealer is quoting £230!!!) tyre.

But, considering I havnt had the car a year yet, its still in warranty. Do you guys think i have a resonable case to go back to the original Volvo dealership and complain about these tyres to try and get some sort of compensation towards purchase of new ones?

Cheers,

Edd...

eternal optimist Apr 24th, 2019 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supra Edd (Post 2515672)
I bought my XC60 awd last May, the MOT at the time said that I needed new rear tyres, so the Volvo dealer replaced them for me - all good!

I just had a service and its MOT (at a different Volvo dealer), those new tyres are already down to 2mm so already need replacing (withing a few weeks no doubt). The tyres put on are 'Royal Performance' a quick search and I find they are a whopping £79.99 per tyre haha.

On the fronts I have Pirelli Scorpion Zero, these have 2.4mm left, and have a date of 2015 on them. I suspect these are the originals, so have so far done 42k miles.

No suprise that a generic £80 tyre is doing badly compated to a Pirelli £180 (£180 on black circles, the Volvo dealer is quoting £230!!!) tyre.

But, considering I havnt had the car a year yet, its still in warranty. Do you guys think i have a resonable case to go back to the original Volvo dealership and complain about these tyres to try and get some sort of compensation towards purchase of new ones?

Cheers,

Edd...

No, I don't. You should have done something at the time they put the tyres on. What did you expect from unbranded tyres put on at the dealer's expense to get you an MoT?

jasmith44 Apr 24th, 2019 15:05

It's worth a try,you never know.

Tannaton Apr 24th, 2019 15:11

I am astounded that a Volvo dealership would fit cheap chinky ditchfinders.... just to check they are "Royal Performance" not "Uniroyal" ??

Shame on them - I don't rate your chance of getting any contribution from them but they should enjoy some harsh feedback from you. I would ask that they fit new Pirelli's at cost?

Generally there is no such thing as a cheap tyre - some are better value than others but none are cheap.

Supra Edd Apr 24th, 2019 15:49

yeh i never really check the quality/cost of them when i got the car, and yup they are 'Royal Performance'. - I too thought 'its a main Volvo dealer, they wont put anythint that bad on them'.

I've never known a tyre to wear down so quickly, and that even goes back to the days of being a bit of a ricer fitting ditch finders and thinking im DK! haha.

I'm going to give it go, its worth a call atleast.

Fimac Apr 25th, 2019 10:32

I had this issue. The Volvo dealer put cheap tyres on the car when they sold it to me, and when they were worn out on my specially arranged service they wanted to put Pirelli’s on. Not really a surprise !

AndyJudge Apr 26th, 2019 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fimac (Post 2515872)
I had this issue. The Volvo dealer put cheap tyres on the car when they sold it to me, and when they were worn out on my specially arranged service they wanted to put Pirelli’s on. Not really a surprise !

Was it a Selekt car ? I thought there was something in the agreement that tyres had to be of a recognised brand.

chanhonam Apr 26th, 2019 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2515687)
I am astounded that a Volvo dealership would fit cheap chinky ditchfinders.... just to check they are "Royal Performance" not "Uniroyal" ??

Shame on them - I don't rate your chance of getting any contribution from them but they should enjoy some harsh feedback from you. I would ask that they fit new Pirelli's at cost?

Generally there is no such thing as a cheap tyre - some are better value than others but none are cheap.

-------------
Can I point out that the term chinky is equivalent to the n word for a black person and is therefore offensive and uncalled for.

The Thong Apr 26th, 2019 22:15

Scorpions are well worth the money, I had a set on my Freelander and they lasted very well with no compromise in grip.

TT

HDAV Apr 26th, 2019 23:53

Would be odd for fronts to be original and rears need replacement unless tracking is out and wear is uneven? Perhaps they swapped the rears to the front and fitted el cheapo to the rear? Worth a phone call but doubt you will get very far, might be worth checking the wear and getting an alignment done had my spxc60 aligned recently and according to computer print out it was quite out!:cool:

I’m rotating my tyres so will 4 next year I guess.......run winter tyres for 4 months and they took the brunt of the poor alignment.....