Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   2.4D (2005 on) VOLVO 2.4D/D5 Injector(s) or hydraulic valve lifters noise? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=246575)

Element888 Mar 12th, 2016 20:05

VOLVO 2.4D/D5 Injector(s) or hydraulic valve lifters noise?

I am getting slight metallic ticking noise on my 2.4D EURO 4 engine on idle and higher rpm. No matter if car is hot or cold -it's always there. Goes togother with rpm but kinda dissapears with higer rpm?
Hard to hear with engine cover off and bonnet open, but when car is stationary with bonnet closed it's very audible.
How to determine if it's injector or lifters or something else? Should I be worried about this or just ignore?
See videos:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
+ YouTube Video

Dancake Mar 12th, 2016 20:55

Has your mpg dropped? An easy way to tell if it's an injector is to place the tip of a screwdriver on each injector and place your ear to the handle. This will amplify the noise enough for you to tell if you have a bad injector. A bad injector will be noticeably louder than the others. If it isn't the injectors then use the same technique to check for the source of the noise around the engine bay.

Element888 Mar 12th, 2016 22:03

Mpg around same as always. VIDA injector test shows me all good and in specs, but you can't trust those numbers too much...??
I have managed to upload some videos.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dancake (Post 2076442)
Has your mpg dropped? An easy way to tell if it's an injector is to place the tip of a screwdriver on each injector and place your ear to the handle. This will amplify the noise enough for you to tell if you have a bad injector. A bad injector will be noticeably louder than the others. If it isn't the injectors then use the same technique to check for the source of the noise around the engine bay.

5cilinder Mar 13th, 2016 08:53

Its injector noise but i only hear it at idle not with increasing rpm
Your combustion and engine sounds healthy
I have it as well to some degree at idle but only noticeable with the cover off with a trained ear
If the mpg is good and the fuelcorrections are good its not something to worry about
You can try a fuelcleaner but i doubt it will get better

Element888 Mar 13th, 2016 10:20

On last shortest video your can really notice that metallic ticking, rattling in background. Even my wife has noticed it, so it not just me here he he...
Yes it kinda goes away when rpm are increased. Will try to locate source of that ticking with screwdriver today.

skyship007 Mar 13th, 2016 11:40

When did you last change the engine oil and are you using an xw30 ??

How many years/miles on the cam belt and aux belt tensioners ??

GrahamBrown1 Mar 14th, 2016 20:35

This might sound really daft but I noticed this on my d5 the other day. The Spring clips for the leak off pipes are a loose fit they clip into
Place well but rattle with the engine at idle making a sound like you describe. With the cover fitted you can't notice

Element888 Mar 14th, 2016 20:46

Using 5W30 A5/B5.
Everything was done around 6 months ago.
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyship007 (Post 2076672)
When did you last change the engine oil and are you using an xw30 ??

How many years/miles on the cam belt and aux belt tensioners ??

Element888 Mar 14th, 2016 20:47

Please see videos above, you will probably hear that sound.
Which leak off pipes do you mean?
Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 (Post 2077553)
This might sound really daft but I noticed this on my d5 the other day. The Spring clips for the leak off pipes are a loose fit they clip into
Place well but rattle with the engine at idle making a sound like you describe. With the cover fitted you can't notice

5cilinder Mar 16th, 2016 10:53

Leakof pipes are connected with the harnassed tubes , you can do a leakbacktest (max 40ml/minute) at idle to see if the injectors are ok
But the good fuelcorrection figures already point in the direction that the injectors are functioning ok (besides the litle noise)
Also note that volvo placed that enginecover to supress injectornoise