Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Winter Tyre Poll (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=108353)

155mph Nov 2nd, 2010 12:11

Winter Tyre Poll

Are you slapping on winter tyres? Go on, let us know.

XC60KEV Nov 2nd, 2010 15:49

As only recently got the car I cannot judge if will be getting them or not as never had the XC60 in winter before. I'm going to wait and see how she fares and then decide. That said the rate the miles are clocking up might need a new set mid December anyway and may put winter tyres on just to compare at no real additional cost as would be replacing them anyway. Will wait and see. I see Kwik Fit are now stocking the Continental 4 x 4 winter contact tyres £743.20 for 4 fully fitted.

Philpottig Nov 2nd, 2010 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by kj5cott (Post 769868)
As only recently got the car I cannot judge if will be getting them or not as never had the XC60 in winter before. I'm going to wait and see how she fares and then decide. That said the rate the miles are clocking up might need a new set mid December anyway and may put winter tyres on just to compare at no real additional cost as would be replacing them anyway. Will wait and see. I see Kwik Fit are now stocking the Continental 4 x 4 winter contact tyres £743.20 for 4 fully fitted.

I too am going to wait and see a)How the car performs and b)How bad the weather gets!

155mph Nov 2nd, 2010 18:11

Apologies. I never meant for people's usernames to be displayed. My bad. I should have also perhaps added a maybe option. Not sure I can change the poll at this stage though.

mkay Nov 2nd, 2010 19:11

one should not wait and see when it comes to fitting winter tyres, all the active saftey features in the world will not save you, your loved ones or the child who ran out in front of you if your tyre compound is to ridgid at that moment.

tyres are the few square inches you have between life and death for you or others.

"a winter tyre is for life, not just for snow"

i have an offroad 4x4 that in winter is fitted with bridgestone dm-v1 due to the nordic conditions it is used in but for my normal road 4x4 bridgestone lm25 are the choice although if fittment allowed i would use conti 830p's

Teejay1 Nov 2nd, 2010 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkay (Post 770018)
one should not wait and see when it comes to fitting winter tyres, all the active saftey features in the world will not save you, your loved ones or the child who ran out in front of you if your tyre compound is to ridgid at that moment.

tyres are the few square inches you have between life and death for you or others.

i have an offroad 4x4 that in winter is fitted with bridgestone dm-v1 due to the nordic conditions it is used in but for my normal road 4x4 bridgestone lm25 are the choice although if fittment allowed i would use conti 830p's

There is every reason if we live in a area that does not get much bad weather. If it get to the point like last year I will use public transport then risk my life with a train driver! I'm waiting and seeing.

Philpottig Nov 2nd, 2010 19:50

Look, a winter tyre is fine in the right conditions but it's a winter tyre on a summers day is surely as bad as a summer tyre in winter you just ain't gonna get the grip you need to drive safely, bugger that!

If I look out and there is 2 feet of snow I am not risking my balls by driving, especially with all the other silly buggers out there, it's not my ability to stay on the straight and narrow I am worried about.....

Citizen.Agfa Nov 2nd, 2010 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philpottig (Post 770059)

Look, a winter tyre is fine in the right conditions but it's a winter tyre on a summers day is surely as bad as a summer tyre in winter you just ain't gonna get the grip you need to drive safely, bugger that!

With all due respect, bollox!:teeth_smile:

As the main point about a winter tyre is the way it retains flexibility in cold conditions then it should be obvious that the construction of the tyre is from softer materials, ergo you will still get excellent grip in the dry, in summer; unfortunately this is allied to truly appalling levels of tyre wear!

Citizen "Vredestein Snowtrac 3" Agfa.

GMad Nov 2nd, 2010 20:54

Never have fitted them to any vehicle I've ever owned and I'm not about to start..
Never had a problem with traction either.

wimorrison Nov 2nd, 2010 21:09

I have read that Britain should actually use Winter Tyres as it is when the temperature falls below 5C that the issues with summer compound tyres become apparent. The difference between us and the Nordics is that they have these temperatures for several months, we have it for a few months.

I know that my P Zero tyres feel very hard and smooth when it run my hand over the running surface on a cold morning, especilly when we have had several days of cold weather. Conversly my winter tyres still feel 'sticky' in the same conditions - in fact they feel the same in the winter as summer tyres do in the summer :)