Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Xc90 2005 gear selector wires (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=275320)

chimaera Nov 23rd, 2017 20:21

Xc90 2005 gear selector wires

1 Attachment(s)
Ooooops. When working on other stuff I pulled the trim up around the gear selector and 2 wires have come adrift. Namely a Black and a Green wire.
See attached photo courtesey Jeffc90 of this forum

They attach to a pair of connectors in front of the selector but I dont know which one goes where. Green on top black on bottom or vice versa.

Since doing this I get "gear selector service required" I assume they two are related.

Anyone able to enlighten me please.

Moose Test Nov 23rd, 2017 20:44

Looking at their thickness and without recourse to the wiring diagram, they seem to be current carrying rather than signal orientated. On that basis, I suggest they came off the solenoid interlock mechanism, which operates to prevent selection of drive from parking without you having your foot on the brake pedal.

If that is so, polarity reversal won't cause any damage, you can afford to try both orientations and see which works, i.e. whichever allows the solenoid to disengage properly.

gmonag Nov 23rd, 2017 20:58

Could be the connectors to the Mode Selector (the button marked "W" next to the gear shift lever). Polarity will not matter.

chimaera Nov 23rd, 2017 21:21

Thanks folks will try them in both orientations and see what happens.

BTW. Its quite freaky that the forum has international membership but you both are close by.
I am from Kings Lynn and currently in Bury St Edmunds visiting relatives.

Moose Test Nov 23rd, 2017 21:37

1 Attachment(s)
It is the solenoid wiring, or what Volvo call the "Shiftlock".

I found the attached image online, which shows the correct orientation. The upper portion of the image is toward the engine (green and red arrows point from engine to boot). So the green spade connects to the solenoid terminal closest to the engine bay.

Whilst it won't cause any damage, there is a protection diode across the solenoid so it won't work correctly if connected with the wrong polarity.

Moose Test Nov 23rd, 2017 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimaera (Post 2340838)
Its quite freaky that the forum has international membership but you both are close by.
I am from Kings Lynn and currently in Bury St Edmunds visiting relatives.

Yup, small world. I've worked in both, back in the days of British Sugar R&D. The Saddlebow road site had arguably the best canteen in the company :-)

chimaera Nov 24th, 2017 16:59

2 Attachment(s)
Just to wrap up. The with the green and black wires connected green lowest and nearest engine black highest and further from engine it all works fine.

FWIW to help get them connected in a very difficult area to get your hands on I made a tool out of a flat carpenters pencil. I cut a notch in the end to hold the spade connector which I could then use to position it and push it home. A little bit paper wrapped around the base of the spade made it fit tight and hold secure whilst fitting.

ian max May 17th, 2021 22:50

i have the same issue

where is the solenoid cant see it