Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Loading the destinations into the Satnav (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=294726)

xsaab May 13th, 2019 17:07

Loading the destinations into the Satnav

My finger accuracy when trying to enter the destination informatiion into the keyboard on the screen is very poor, to get within 2 characters of the target is a triumph eg hitting an -h- when wanting to enter a g or a j is quite a triumph.

So I want to be able to load up a collection of destinations into the Satnav destination database, this will be helpful when preparing for a trip involving several destinations.

So far I have set up dummy appointments in my iphone calender with all the address information and then transmitted them from the phone to the car. It appears that one cannot send destinations that are timed to arrive greater than 24 hours of the transmission.

On my Garmin Satnav I have a great quantity of destinations that I have transferred to the computer so I have source information that I would like to get on the car with the minimum of waving fingers at the screen.

I have read the Sensus Navigation manual, asked the dealer but so far no information.

Any suggestions please.

nu11eaf May 13th, 2019 17:17

You can use voice control to put destinations in your satnav, I find it works best with postcodes.

Whiterdesign May 13th, 2019 17:22

Why not use VOC , set the destination on map and then send to car.

Parky12 May 13th, 2019 17:53

Agree the App is far easier and has a far better search ability

I find the car is slow and you have to know precisely what you want. The App looks to make us of the phones Google search engine

xsaab May 13th, 2019 18:51

I have used VOC to send the calendar entries to the car, but you can only do one destination at a time. However I can set up the destinations as a series of events and then send and receive each one into the car system.

I will have to find out how to quickly convert each destination into a calendar event and then VOC them into the car.

steladamo May 14th, 2019 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parky12 (Post 2520390)
Agree the App is far easier and has a far better search ability

I find the car is slow and you have to know precisely what you want. The App looks to make us of the phones Google search engine

The car search sucks. Especially if you are in a country that for some reason the decided at Here Maps to translate even destinations that do not take any translation.

So for example if you want to go to Hilton hotel in Athens (there is only one) for some very weird reason on the car they have named the hotel Chilton because in Greek starts with X. So trying to find a destination so simple becomes instantly impossible.

gaby May 15th, 2019 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsaab (Post 2520375)
My finger accuracy when trying to enter the destination informatiion into the keyboard on the screen is very poor, to get within 2 characters of the target is a triumph eg hitting an -h- when wanting to enter a g or a j is quite a triumph.

While standing still, or while driving?

xsaab May 15th, 2019 17:38

while siting in the car on the drive - so not driving

gaby May 15th, 2019 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsaab (Post 2520814)
while siting in the car on the drive - so not driving

You definitely need an alternative method then!

Bernard F May 15th, 2019 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaby (Post 2520838)
You definitely need an alternative method then!

XSAAB I suggest you purchase a capacitive stylus pen for touchscreens. Amazon has many and quite cheap. Will solve your problem.