Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Changing the Number Plate (XC60) (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=294846)

crazyp May 17th, 2019 15:32

Changing the Number Plate (XC60)

Don't laugh - this is probably a very stupid question :regular_smile:

When changing the number plates on an XC60, the plates looks like they are screwed in with two screws from the front. The back of the bumper seems hard to access.

So when changing the plates is it simply a matter of taking out the screws and screwing in the new plates - is there is a retaining nut or similar at the back and will it fall out on taking the screws (or is it moulded in?).

I'm transferring in a previously owned plate and Volvo want 20 minutes of fitting time when I asked them in passing - which is making me wonder if I'm missing something....

Thanks.

Whiterdesign May 17th, 2019 15:44

Just unscrew them, the threads are fixed in the bumper.

crazyp May 17th, 2019 16:25

Thank you - that's great.

The Volvo 20 minutes is probably a bit excessive then.....

:tounge_smile:

iain cooper May 17th, 2019 16:45

Twenty minutes sounds reasonable to me ?

Iain

crazyp May 17th, 2019 21:27

Well it's just that the cost of the plates + fitting came to about £80 - which seemed a little bit high!

Director76 May 18th, 2019 07:56

If you’re in process of buying the car or just have, every dealer I’ve bought off has thrown in a set in my personalised plates FOC, usually because of the transfer process I’ve take the car on the original plates and fitted the personal plates myself. At least ask the sales person for a set of plates as a goodwill gesture.

Fitting is a quick and easy job, I’d suggest the double sided plate tape for the rear. Longest task is making sure it’s perfectly level and central. If the old front plate is straight etc, use the drill holes as a template on the new one.

I find a chalk marker pen is great for the rear. Draw a cross on the plates on the midlines of each axis, same on the car body using, stick on tapes, peel, line up the crosses, stick on plate (do it very lightly to start with and do a visual levels check, then when happy push hard down), finally wipe off chalk marker with damp cloth! Make tea.

gaby May 18th, 2019 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyp (Post 2521426)
Well it's just that the cost of the plates + fitting came to about £80 - which seemed a little bit high!

Perhaps including a gold plated licence plate frame?

Ringthane May 18th, 2019 10:48

Unless that £80 comes with a Happy Ending, then it is a bit steep.

I had my car registered with the dealer, and put my private plate on retention, and changed them after a week or so. That way, I always have the correct plates on hand, to replace my private plate, when I sell the car on.

Good fitting advice above.

MaDProFF May 18th, 2019 12:35

I would say steep, when I picked up my XC60 the car was on the registered plates, but they knew I was transferring it to my private plate but we had a problem doing it for some reasons like insurance etc. and company car, but they made a set for me and left them in the boot :)

J30 YAP May 22nd, 2019 23:58

Dealers normally change them FOC, installed when collecting the car.