Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 Engine 2.0D : Starting Problem (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=77742)

Clan Dec 28th, 2010 22:15

Well if the wife is happy it is a satisfactory conclusion :-)

Mwaite1985 Dec 29th, 2010 11:01

How hard was it to replace?

Thanks,

Matt

cymroboi Jan 11th, 2011 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mwaite1985 (Post 805253)
How hard was it to replace?

Thanks,

Matt

10 min job m8 :thumbs_up:

rustydonkey Jan 25th, 2011 11:40

I've just ordered a throttle housing from FRF for £73 inc postage.

rustydonkey Jan 28th, 2011 14:13

I have just changed mine and it seems to be starting a lot better now. The old one did feel to be sticking in the closed position. One thing i did notice was a lot of oil in the tract, hell of a lot more than any other engine i've worked on. Is this normal for this engine?

Clan Jan 28th, 2011 18:25

Yes oil is normal , it only comes from the crankcase ventilation pipe , the oil condenses out , no problem .
You might be interested to know that these throttle bodies have a position sensor on them for the last year of production , so if it sticks you will get a message on the dash :-) A bit late now of course .

rustydonkey Jan 28th, 2011 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 827855)
You might be interested to know that these throttle bodies have a position sensor on them for the last year of production , so if it sticks you will get a message on the dash :-) A bit late now of course .

What was the last year of production, is that for the car or throttle body?

Clan Jan 28th, 2011 21:16

Oh the engine , the 2.0 D is now defunct together with its throttle , as from last year when the D3 and D4 came out, much better engines ..

grimweasel Feb 18th, 2011 21:55

Clan,
I'm having the same cold start issue. The garage has checked the accelerator flap, looms, MAF sensor etc but it still will not accelerate or run for more than 3 secs on cold start? The garage took the ECU off and placed it in the fridge as the ECU was showing loads of fault codes. It wouldn't start with the cold ECU so they let it warm up and it started fine. He then left it overnight and tried to start it in the morning and same problem. He then blew hot air onto the ECU with a hairdryer and it started and held revs. His conclusion is that the ECU is shot - but it needs replacing as it's the Siemens/Peugeot one that can't be repaired??
I baulked at the cost though - £1K supplied and fitted!! Now, as it's only a 06 plate V50 could I have a recourse with Volvo under the supply of goods act? It's only done 60K so surely the ECU should last longer than that?

Any advice warmly appreciated before I fork out £1k!!

Clan Feb 20th, 2011 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by grimweasel (Post 844803)
Clan,
I'm having the same cold start issue. The garage has checked the accelerator flap, looms, MAF sensor etc but it still will not accelerate or run for more than 3 secs on cold start? The garage took the ECU off and placed it in the fridge as the ECU was showing loads of fault codes. It wouldn't start with the cold ECU so they let it warm up and it started fine. He then left it overnight and tried to start it in the morning and same problem. He then blew hot air onto the ECU with a hairdryer and it started and held revs. His conclusion is that the ECU is shot - but it needs replacing as it's the Siemens/Peugeot one that can't be repaired??
I baulked at the cost though - £1K supplied and fitted!! Now, as it's only a 06 plate V50 could I have a recourse with Volvo under the supply of goods act? It's only done 60K so surely the ECU should last longer than that?

Any advice warmly appreciated before I fork out £1k!!

If the ECU pins and plugs are not corroded i wouldnt think the ECU is faulty , Have you actualy changed the throttle flap ? Its very hard to prove it is sticking but it has to be eliminated with a new one first , and due to the age of your car it is likely to be sticking .. so do that first and see how you get on ..

Your dealer has the means to substitute another ECU from another car if you give them the job , you dont spend that kind of money by guessing its the ECU when the ECU is the last candidate on the list of suspects ..