Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Loss of power. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288431)

Tannaton Nov 11th, 2018 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waynedance (Post 2465557)
This is what he says the garage are replacing so fingers crossed. Again live data would show the readings from the sensors.

Have suggested that to him before... there are two, one in the cat and one in the dpf. when they fail they put a D5 into a restricted power mode (not the normal limp mode) where you ave no lights or messages on he dash and it wont rev past about 3k but you have good power otherwise. Generic code readers will report this as "temperature sensor bank a" or similar, VIDA as always will tell you exactly what is wrong and even give you a diagram as to where it is...

Vol S80 Lux Nov 14th, 2018 14:21

I had a similar problem on my s80 D5 on a 06 plate.

Cleaned the egr and the right angled egr pipe and all has been well since.

seanc Nov 15th, 2018 19:25

Any update from taxi_driver?

60041 Nov 15th, 2018 19:49

This seems to be a relatively common problem. The rear one on my XC90 was replaced under warranty and the dealer told me that it was a known problem that particularly affected 2010 models (faulty batch of sensors?); on mine I had a warning light but no effect on power.
We recently had the same problem on my son’s 59 reg XC70, but in his case, he had the exact power loss symptoms as the OP. We changed the rear sensor and all is back to normal.

Tannaton Nov 15th, 2018 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60041 (Post 2467049)
This seems to be a relatively common problem. The rear one on my XC90 was replaced under warranty and the dealer told me that it was a known problem that particularly affected 2010 models (faulty batch of sensors?); on mine I had a warning light but no effect on power.
We recently had the same problem on my son’s 59 reg XC70, but in his case, he had the exact power loss symptoms as the OP. We changed the rear sensor and all is back to normal.

The last one I did was on a '59 plate V50 D5 - no power above 2,800 rpm but no lights/warnings.

smarkc May 20th, 2019 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2467092)
The last one I did was on a '59 plate V50 D5 - no power above 2,800 rpm but no lights/warnings.

Hi there,

Can anyone help with the part number? This seems like the issue with my mothers 2012 xc70.

Much appreciated.

green van man May 22nd, 2019 06:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilbydoughboy (Post 2465543)
I had a similar problem and it proved to be the temperature sensor that screws into the exhaust, the part cost about £90 and was fairly easy to replace. It might be worth checking this first.

I had that problem also, compounded by the dealer snapping the sensor trying to get it out, then they didn't have the correct tap to drill it out, then they had to take it off to drill it out, resulted in a bill for £300. They did however also change a sensor on the inlet side of the engine also. Had no lights on dash just symptoms of the turbo being switched off momentarily.
As I was towing the caravan at the time looked a real boy racer as the front tyres lit up when the power came back in.

Paul.