Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   What Bulb, Active Bending Light? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=232766)

quinno Jul 8th, 2015 17:24

What Bulb, Active Bending Light?

2010 XC 60. Can anyone tell me what the bulb type or specs are for Xenon Active Bending Lights? Handbook says 65w H9.
Are these a straightforward swapout?

NigelDay Jul 8th, 2015 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinno (Post 1943760)
2010 XC 60. Can anyone tell me what the bulb type or specs are for Xenon Active Bending Lights? Handbook says 65w H9.
Are these a straightforward swapout?

The H9 bulb is the auxiliary high beam. The xenons are a different code and I think can only be fitted by the dealer (or with great care yourself).

muffking Jul 8th, 2015 18:57

D3S if they're xenon. Not too difficult to DIY, just needs a little more care than a halogen bulb.

wimorrison Jul 8th, 2015 19:07

It is a D1s bulb that you need and it is an easy job to replace it- check YouTube, there are several vids there showing you how to do it :)

janusz Jul 9th, 2015 10:06

Yup, d1s. I recently had a pair for sale.
Easy to replace:
1. Switch engine off.
2. Unplug negative (-) battery terminal
3. Take a look at dashboard to make sure electricity is cut off
4. Take entire headlight out - do not unplug it as it's not easy
5. Remove plastic cover at the back of headlight
6. Unplug power cable from bulb - this will be a cable with a connector which looks like usb
7. Twist plastic lock mechanism - there will be two plastic paddles - clockwise i think - you should be able to feel to movement
8. Remove old bulb and insert new one.

Make sure you do not touch glass elements of bulb. Best to use latex gloves.
Do not buy cheap d1s from ebay or dodgy sellers. If you get rubbish bulb it will damage reflective coating inside the headlight.

quinno Jul 9th, 2015 10:28

Thanks all for the info and the how to fit. D1S it is. They are not cheap. What is the 'colour temperature' of these bulbs?

wimorrison Jul 9th, 2015 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinno (Post 1944157)
Thanks all for the info and the how to fit. D1S it is. They are not cheap. What is the 'colour temperature' of these bulbs?

I think that they are 4300k, be aware that though you should change xenons as a pair to ensure that there is no colour mismatch between them as even at 4300k the old and new bulb will be different as they wear out as time goes on.

Also the higher the temperature the bluer the light and the less the output, conversely lower temperature equals yellower light and less output :(

NigelDay Jul 9th, 2015 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by wimorrison (Post 1944251)
I think that they are 4300k, be aware that though you should change xenons as a pair to ensure that there is no colour mismatch between them as even at 4300k the old and new bulb will be different as they wear out as time goes on.

Also the higher the temperature the bluer the light and the less the output, conversely lower temperature equals yellower light and less output :(

Just checking your comment about colour temperature. Both yellow bias and blue bias have a lower output ? If so, there is an optimum colour temperature for maximum output. This is how it reads.

janusz Jul 9th, 2015 18:28

I have osram xenarc nightbreaker and can recommend them. Also phillips xenon xtreme vision are good. Apparently osram emit more light while phillips are "lighter".
Osram 4350 kelvin
Phillips 4800 or so

wimorrison Jul 9th, 2015 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by janusz (Post 1944349)
I have osram xenarc nightbreaker and can recommend them. Also phillips xenon xtreme vision are good. Apparently osram emit more light while phillips are "lighter".
Osram 4350 kelvin
Phillips 4800 or so

These are for conventional H fittings, not D Xenons