Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   c70 abs (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=280615)

gnc Apr 14th, 2018 14:07

c70 abs

would a faulty abs / stc control modul affect the feel of the brakes. ive aquired a c70 auto, full service history. off a friend which lost drive in the snow a few weeks ago, ive changed the fluid and seems ok on the short test drives ive done, but the stc lights flashing and the brake pedal seems a bit gritty and not excactly responsive, my micra and citroen has better biting brakes. any help would be greatly appreciatted.
geof

V70Zig Apr 14th, 2018 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnc (Post 2392696)
would a faulty abs / stc control modul affect the feel of the brakes. ive aquired a c70 auto, full service history. off a friend which lost drive in the snow a few weeks ago, ive changed the fluid and seems ok on the short test drives ive done, but the stc lights flashing and the brake pedal seems a bit gritty and not excactly responsive, my micra and citroen has better biting brakes. any help would be greatly appreciatted.
geof

Ideally get it hooked up to a Vida Dice unit to read any codes that are stored.....otherwise it can end up to be a more expensive guessing/part changing game.:thumbs_up:

gnc Apr 20th, 2018 17:26

found the problem, abs interrupter ring broken and i think it was stuck on the abs sensor, so im presuming the abs thought the wheel was stationary therefore the abs was coming in on that wheel making the pedal feel lumpy, and some horrible scraping noises.
now the brakes work ok but doesnt seem as sharp as my micra, acording to all the bills ive got the pads were changed around 5000 miles ago ( no idea on the make ) but looking at them they dont even look like theyve done 500 miles. so is there a softer pad available.
geof

SteveSarre Apr 22nd, 2018 19:17

Hi gnc

Others on here have posted in the past, that out of the two front pads that Mintex makes (for early V70s with 15 and 16 inch wheels), the MDB1984 are the soft ones.

https://www.brakebook.com/bb/mintex/...onSearch.xhtml

MDB1984 Brake Pad Set, disc brake
Fitting Position: Front Axle; Brake System: 16"
Brake System:Teves; Width [mm]:156.3; Height [mm]:58.3; Part number of recommended accessories:MBA1180; Thickness [mm]:19.5; Wear Warning Contact:not prepared for wear indicator

MDB1614 Brake Pad Set, disc brake
Fitting Position: Front Axle; Brake System: 15"
Brake System:Teves; Width [mm]:156.3; Height [mm]:58.3; Part number of recommended accessories:MBA1180; Thickness [mm]:19.5; Wear Warning Contact: prepared for wear indicator

Hope that helps,
Steve

MikeS100 Apr 26th, 2018 22:17

Hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread. I'm having a similar problem with my V70, no lights coming on but it feels like the abs is cutting in. It's making the horrible scraping noise on and off and your description of the pedal feeling gritty matches mine. Front drivers side ring is corroded and got a bit better when cleaned up a bit but still there. No codes stored so I think it is as you described and the car is getting the wrong signal for the wheel speed. Only thing that's a bit odd is sometimes I brake and it's not there at all but 90% of the time you can feel and hear it while braking.

Did you manage to change just the ring? 2 local garages are saying it will have to be a replacement cv joint at around £180 as the ring is welded to the end of the joint but the rings are available to buy on their own online so I'm a bit confused.

Thanks

SteveSarre Apr 27th, 2018 08:57

Hi Mike

Ring is not welded, it is a press fit, 99% sure.

Steve

MikeS100 Apr 27th, 2018 11:47

Thanks Steve, that's what I thought.

Maybe they are thinking it would be rust welded on and too much effort. I've ordered a replacement ring (£1.99 with a lifetime warranty!) and I'll give it a go.

SteveSarre Apr 27th, 2018 17:50

Hi gnc,

99% sure it is fine to disconnect the power (3 lead) cable to the ABS module (at your own risk).
The ABS light will come on.

At least you wont have that noise.
You will still get normal unassisted hydraulic braking, but obviously no ABS.

When you reconnect the power to the module, the ABS light will clear.

Steve

Luxobarge Apr 27th, 2018 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveSarre (Post 2397734)
You will still get normal unassisted hydraulic braking, but obviously no ABS.

It'll still be assisted, but no ABS in the event of a skid.

SteveSarre Apr 27th, 2018 19:38

Yes sorry, by unassisted I meant not ABS.

Steve