Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   V70: Wheel refurbishment (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=301237)

malc-c Dec 4th, 2019 18:32

Wheel refurbishment

Hi Guys,

I purchased a set of Volvo alloys for my V70 about a decade ago, second hand off e-bay. They weren't in the best of condition, but I cleaned them up, painted and lacquered them and they have done me for the past decade.

However they could really do with a refurbishment. Can anyone recommend a company in north herts that can undertake this task. I'm after someone who can re-profile the wheel and not just dip, strip and powder coat as one wheel has always been a pain to seat a tyre with a good seal.

ITSv40 Dec 4th, 2019 19:47

1 Attachment(s)
I know it is slightly out of your area, but I have used The Wheel Clinic in Northampton and have been very pleased with their work. The wheels on the V40 were done 60,000mls ago and still pristine.

malc-c Dec 4th, 2019 19:50

They do indeed look nice - may I be cheeky and ask what was done and how much it cost (were they machined?)

ITSv40 Dec 4th, 2019 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by malc-c (Post 2577921)
They do indeed look nice - may I be cheeky and ask what was done and how much it cost (were they machined?)

Not cheeky at all :)

The tyres were due for replacement, so I had my tyre chappie remove the tyres before taking the wheels to The Wheel Clinic. The bare wheels were then checked for trueness and a couple of small rim dings tapped out and minor kerbing damage was smoothed out and made good. The wheels were then completely stripped and refinished in powder coat. I specified I wanted an original finish and colour.

I then had new tyres fitted and balancing done by my regular tyre chappie.

The tyre chap did ask where I had had them refurbished and when I told him he said, ''oh that is fine, they do a good job. I only asked as I would not be happy fitting tyres if they had been refurbed by a mobile van outfit''.

The wheels are 16'' and cost £50 per wheel - that was four years ago.

malc-c Dec 5th, 2019 09:59

Just been quoted £125 +VAT per wheel, and that was for stripping, re-profiling and powder coating each wheel. I can get a complete set of aftermarket wheels complete with budget tyres delivered to my door for that sort of money !

Rich850R Dec 7th, 2019 05:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by malc-c (Post 2578040)
Just been quoted £125 +VAT per wheel, and that was for stripping, re-profiling and powder coating each wheel. I can get a complete set of aftermarket wheels complete with budget tyres delivered to my door for that sort of money !

Where the hell is that!! What size are they 20s!!??

Had a cheaper quote for a set of 18” BBS split rims!!

malc-c Dec 14th, 2019 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich850R (Post 2578645)
Where the hell is that!! What size are they 20s!!??

Had a cheaper quote for a set of 18” BBS split rims!!

Sorry for the late reply. It was for a company based in Royston, Herts. - 16" columbia wheels

http://micro-heli.co.uk/wheel.jpg

Have checked with my insurance company and 3rd party after market wheels will only add £12 for the rest of my premium (6 months)

Thinking of putting these on the car

https://cdn4.wheelbasealloys.com/pro...e_1311_600.jpg

£350 with fitting kit (nuts and spacers)

or
4 x Fox Racing FX004 Silver Alloy Wheels
4 x 195/60/15 Delinte DH2 Tyres
1 x Free Fitting Kit
£499

Plus I could sell all 4 columbia's for £50 to shift them

BorderVolvo Dec 15th, 2019 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by malc-c (Post 2580822)
……. I could sell all 4 columbia's for £50 to shift them

That's a very fair price I think!

malc-c Dec 19th, 2019 10:17

They arrived

1 Attachment(s)
Well I went ahead and treated myself to an early Christmas present :)

I spent days looking at tyre reviews to try and get the best value for money, yet still have good grip in the wet as well as the dry, and Falken ZE310's seemed a good choice. I was offered a deal for the four wheels supplied with four tyres all balanced etc for £100 cheaper than if I bought the wheels and had a local tyre company fit the same boots.

I was unsure if the wheels would suit the car but I think the wheels look OK. Not too sporty, not too boy racer, but equally not stereotypical of an old man in a volvo.... :)

I had a local company fit them for me for £20 as it saved me messing about doing one at a time on a busy road....Now to clean up the old Volvo Columbia's and list them in the classifieds....Looking at £15 a wheel - collect from Stevenage if anyone wants them :regular_smile:

Derek UK Dec 19th, 2019 11:11

They look good. Buy yourself a nice cleaning brush, you'll need it. Also, get a load of wax on them now, before the salt has a chance to feed on them.