Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Abs ring replacement oh dear! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=252673)

chris810 Jul 4th, 2016 14:39

Abs ring replacement oh dear!

So i decided to replace the front drivers side ABS ring over the weekend went great untill i was unable to get the driveshaft out, so i pulled the complete assembly off and went to work on the bench after vast, ammounts of heat and destroying the bearing carrier i finally have it out.
So before i fit the new bearings and CV joint I have one question,

Given the large ammout of heat the upright will has been subjected to is it ok to reuse this ? I can get another from a breakers but they are not cheap, i can't see it warping and its looks ok what do you guys think ?

Just a quick cheap sunday afternoon job!

bobdabuilda Jul 5th, 2016 10:05

Can I ask why you changed the ABS ring if it wasn't broken? I presume it wasn't otherwise it would literally just pull off and not require all that you did as you can replace in situ?

gmonag Jul 5th, 2016 10:17

I think you were unlucky. I did the job recently and the driveshafts just slipped out of the hub.
I know there are often issues though, there is a video on YouTube of a guy trying to get the shaft out of a rear hub - he put it on a 200 tonne press and it still did not budge!

Sorry, I can't give an opinion on your strut.

Greg

cheshired5 Jul 5th, 2016 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdabuilda (Post 2134915)
Can I ask why you changed the ABS ring if it wasn't broken? I presume it wasn't otherwise it would literally just pull off and not require all that you did as you can replace in situ?

An ABS ring still in one piece can create a fault if the profile of the teeth are uneven through corrosion or general wear.
Even if the old ring is broken and removes easily, the new ring is whole and needs the driveshaft out of the hub for installation.
It sounds like another aftermath of Volvo using super strength locking compound to cure the driveshaft spline in hub issue.
The locking compound they use is indeed a cure but Lord help any diyer trying to get the shaft back out in future.

chris810 Jul 5th, 2016 11:13

Sorry guys not made myself clear the ABS ring was broken, at least you could get movement in the two halves with a small screwdriver and after a few minutes of driving an ABS fault would come up with the warning light on the dashboard, i cannot see how you would replace the ring without withdrawing the driveshaft, and that is the bit that would not budge. Anyway all back together now just a test drive to do, and if that works its just the rear parking sensors to sort, and then an error message free dash

Till the next time

I am hoping that as i am now doing 1000 mls a month not 4000 miles a month i should break it 1/3 as much.

cassell Jul 5th, 2016 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2134920)
An ABS ring still in one piece can create a fault if the profile of the teeth are uneven through corrosion or general wear.
Even if the old ring is broken and removes easily, the new ring is whole and needs the driveshaft out of the hub for installation.
It sounds like another aftermath of Volvo using super strength locking compound to cure the driveshaft spline in hub issue.
The locking compound they use is indeed a cure but Lord help any diyer trying to get the shaft back out in future.

+1 for this, I had to use heat and a 15 tonne press to get my drive shafts out of the hub after someone did the 'glueing' fix in the past!!

Not had any problems since, so presumably all that heat does no lasting damage.

sreviz Dec 27th, 2016 14:09

Iam having the same problem, The drive shaft is not budging out from the hub.
Took it to a small local garage, pressed it with the hydralic press. No luck.
Is there any one who specialized in removing the drive shaft near south London area please. I meant to say who will have that massive pressing device.

I just left it and put back the hub for just now, but Iam guessing sooner will have to replace the ABS ring , I can see they are very rusted.

Thank you
Saravan.

oragex Dec 27th, 2016 14:52

at this point the wheel bearing is being damaged. perhaps sourcing a used spindle and axle shaft it's an easier way to go. one thing I did with my reluctor brings is brush off all the rust and coat it with antirust paint