Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   V40 Clutches (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=229362)

850Pete May 11th, 2015 09:51

V40 Clutches

Hi I have had the clutch go on my new (13500 miles & 15 months old) V40. Garage say can't find a fault so must be the way I drive. Has anyone else had an early failure like this?

roundyuk May 11th, 2015 21:38

Interesting, the garage where my brother works had one in, very new like yours (in fact even newer).

Clutch was worn down to the rivets and had also damaged the flywheel I think. (was an older gent that owned it though)

One thing is sure, you have to make sure you don't ride the pedal as its quite high I've noticed in the V40.

Clan May 11th, 2015 22:07

what do they mean it has " gone" ? there are quite a few things that could go wrong for different reasons .. They say they cant find a fault? What are the symptoms ?
It is very easy to overheat a clutch on modern cars unlike the older ones . do you reverse up a hill to your drive every day into your garage?

julianps Dec 2nd, 2017 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by roundyuk (Post 1912808)
Interesting, the garage where my brother works had one in, very new like yours (in fact even newer).

Clutch was worn down to the rivets and had also damaged the flywheel I think. (was an older gent that owned it though)

One thing is sure, you have to make sure you don't ride the pedal as its quite high I've noticed in the V40.

As I understand it, car fitted with hill-start-assist require drivers to use that feature other than slipping the clutch as in the olden-days. I've been known to get caught on a couple of hills in rush-hour that brings a whole new meaning to stop-start driving.

volvo for ever Dec 4th, 2017 06:57

dmf is the root cause v40 has major problem with clutche colapsing even with 50 miles on car

Rooster Dec 5th, 2017 23:51

We took a clutch out of a 6 month old 6000 mile V40 last week in multiple bits as the pressure plate had let go,

Rivets had been bouncing round bell housing,

They changed the clutchs a while ago and the new design has major problems

Fantastic Dec 7th, 2017 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 2344992)
We took a clutch out of a 6 month old 6000 mile V40 last week in multiple bits as the pressure plate had let go,

Rivets had been bouncing round bell housing,

They changed the clutchs a while ago and the new design has major problems

Just out of pure interest, where are these new clutches made? I'd guess China, from a Geely subsidiary instead of the original FoMoCo, but may be wrong?

GrahamBrown1 Dec 7th, 2017 20:15

Yet more new Volvo “quality” why are they ruining the brand and the reputation with cheap crap. Would rather an old V40. I wouldn’t want my gearbox back knowing the rivets have been wanging round inside the bell housing. Any damage to the casing? Not like the customer would know of course

Acer Dec 9th, 2017 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by 850Pete (Post 1912214)
Hi I have had the clutch go on my new (13500 miles & 15 months old) V40. Garage say can't find a fault so must be the way I drive. Has anyone else had an early failure like this?

Do you have a diesel? Old and new clutches seem a bit dodgy on the V40.

volvo for ever Dec 10th, 2017 03:37

not sure where they are made but they are garbage 67 plate car 41 miles pressure plate collaped in bits