Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   2018 Fuel Choice - BP/shell/any (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287924)

NorthantsPete Oct 26th, 2018 09:59

2018 Fuel Choice - BP/shell/any

As the fuel additives change year on year, two leading premiums now actually liquid gas and other just heavy additives packs (and hefty prices) Im interested to know long term what you're running in your Diesel, and why

As a side note:
I also find, one station is not the same as the next. So, BP in central northampton is rubbish but the stuff on the a45 is good.
Ive also had some premium (maybe old, lack of use/expensive) run worse than standard!

AndyJudge Oct 26th, 2018 12:16

I tend to fill up with whatever I find when the car want's feeding with only a little consideration into cost

eg

My closest garage to home is Morrisons & has the advantage of earning points.

I'm in Birmingham a lot at present & tend to fill up on the way home, the 1st garage I pass is a Shell station.

I won't ever fill up at a Motorway Services as it's too expensive, Some of the Stations on the A1(M) are crazy prices (Blyth, Washington, Peterborough) however others on the A1 are reasonable (BP Nr RAF Wittering, Texaco a bit Further on)

I'm in Brum now but I think I'm good to get home on what I have, Sunday will get filled up at Morrisons in Jarrow, Sunday Night Probably Fill up at Tesco's in Stevenage before travelling back to Brum again.

Last week was another mixed bag

Friday -Morrisons Jarrow
Saturday - BP in Swindon
Sunday - Morrisons in Jarrow

Bendolfc Oct 26th, 2018 13:02

My S40 is ex BT fleet, I bought it at 80K, no idea what fuel it used up until that point but coming up to 200K now and has run mainly on Tesco diesel with no ill effects. Had a few tank fulls of shell / shell vpower and made no noticable difference to how it ran other than costing more.

Peter86 Oct 26th, 2018 14:07

I use Costco premium diesel as its the same price as supermarkets and car runs great on it.
Use to use texaco near me but the price has gone up a fair bit there, currently 10p more than petrol.
Will use anything if I need to but always go for branded before supermarket if possible and not overly priced.

AliMurray Oct 26th, 2018 15:15

As I do a bit of local driving which probably isn't perfect for a derv ( Work is 13 miles but a bit in town and dual carriageway 2 miles roundabout on repeat) I use V-Power. My car two back was a re-mapped non DPF Vx and it smoked noticeably less on the V-Power. Seeing as my current driving regime isn't the most friendly to a DPF / EGR I'm splashing a little on the fuel in hope to not break one of those. I only do 8k a year so the cost is negligible .

The Thong Oct 27th, 2018 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyJudge (Post 2461099)
I tend to fill up with whatever I find when the car want's feeding with only a little consideration into cost

eg

My closest garage to home is Morrisons & has the advantage of earning points.

I'm in Birmingham a lot at present & tend to fill up on the way home, the 1st garage I pass is a Shell station.

I won't ever fill up at a Motorway Services as it's too expensive, Some of the Stations on the A1(M) are crazy prices (Blyth, Washington, Peterborough) however others on the A1 are reasonable (BP Nr RAF Wittering, Texaco a bit Further on)

I'm in Brum now but I think I'm good to get home on what I have, Sunday will get filled up at Morrisons in Jarrow, Sunday Night Probably Fill up at Tesco's in Stevenage before travelling back to Brum again.

Last week was another mixed bag

Friday -Morrisons Jarrow
Saturday - BP in Swindon
Sunday - Morrisons in Jarrow

I refuelled the van on a agency card on Washington Services last week. £1.55 a litre :D That’s just shocking when further down the A1 it was £1.37 a litre.

TT

DSK Oct 27th, 2018 09:43

When I had a 2013 Astra GTC and 2011 Merc E350 diesels, they always felt smoother on Shell standard fuel compared to other stations like BP.

Doing the same 800-900 mile trek I've done for years, when I used Vpower, that was smoother still but more responsive and would give me another 3-4mpg average over a tank.

(The turbo petrol cars strictly get vpower unleaded ad that works whereas BP ultimate is no different than normal unleaded)

Waynedance Oct 27th, 2018 10:09

Used to be Shell only but the Asda down the road is so much cheaper. I put in a litre of Moly diesel purge every 4 to 5 months ish.

Not noticed any real difference from the Shell to the Asda fuel. I did vote cheapest, supermarket and cheapest should be one of the same.

The Ridge Rider Oct 27th, 2018 19:40

Local Shell for me as we have a Morrisons, so price works out better, £1.41 @ another Shell under Waitrose on my way to work, compared to local Shell @ £1.34 for bog standed Diesel plus points, even the wifes C2 gets Shell fuel, even more points on the loyalty card.

Dirty Rooster Oct 27th, 2018 22:55

My 1991 petrol engine loves the local GULF but being local it is more expensive than Sainsbury's at Carlisle, which my engine also loves.
It likes Shell V-power too but the Carlisle garage got flooded :(

My engine hated a dose of Asda cheapo one time, put me off for good!