Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Dies on the throttle (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=311114)

Alpine Oct 23rd, 2020 17:55

Dies on the throttle

Started playing up, when the engine is ticking over at idle it will die (and cut out) if I touch the throttle.

I changed the coolant temp sensor a year ago, so I doubt its connected to that.

Any ideas?

Volvofreak2 Oct 23rd, 2020 19:01

Hej Phil,
sounds to me like "antenna ring" ( dont't know how this part is called in Englisch). This ring is around the ignition switch and is sending the code from the key to the engine immobilizer. When this ring is defekt, the engine starts and get's cut off immediately, just as you describe. To check, start the engine and when it's cut off, turn the key 180 degrees and try again. If this works and the engine runs after a few tries, it's the ring.

Gernot

Alpine Oct 23rd, 2020 20:29

ok, thanks. But it doesn't die immediately. It will sit on the drive idling, but when I touch the throttle to move off it will splutter and cut out.

4x4 Oct 23rd, 2020 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine (Post 2675449)
...but when I touch the throttle to move off it will splutter and cut out.

Check for vacuum leaks

Alpine Oct 23rd, 2020 23:19

thanks, good idea, will do

RollingThunder Oct 24th, 2020 09:42

Try disconnecting the MAF.

I had a 940 a few years ago that idled fine, and I could even pull away from rest if I was very - very - gentle on the accelerator, but give the pedal a prod and it would die. It was the MAF in my case, By disconnecting it, the engine ECU runs on default settings and the engine ran much better. Its a quick and easy test to see if the MAF is the culprit.

Alpine Nov 1st, 2020 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollingThunder (Post 2675533)
Try disconnecting the MAF.

I had a 940 a few years ago that idled fine, and I could even pull away from rest if I was very - very - gentle on the accelerator, but give the pedal a prod and it would die. It was the MAF in my case, By disconnecting it, the engine ECU runs on default settings and the engine ran much better. Its a quick and easy test to see if the MAF is the culprit.

thanks RollingThunder, I've done this now, I think you were spot on

I've been reading up on MAFs, I think I can have a go at cleaning it, otherwise its a replacement

RollingThunder Nov 1st, 2020 17:35

Brilliant, glad to hear you've identified the problem.

Re cleaning it - don't even think about using a cotton bud etc to clean the element. I've snapped *2* MAF sensor blades trying to clean them like that - use an aerosol but don't touch that blade with anything - the merest hint of touching it, and it WILL snap.

If you decide to buy a new one, stick with a new Bosch part - I've found that the other brands don't work well on a Volvo.

Alpine Nov 1st, 2020 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollingThunder (Post 2677901)
Brilliant, glad to hear you've identified the problem.

Re cleaning it - don't even think about using a cotton bud etc to clean the element. I've snapped *2* MAF sensor blades trying to clean them like that - use an aerosol but don't touch that blade with anything - the merest hint of touching it, and it WILL snap.

If you decide to buy a new one, stick with a new Bosch part - I've found that the other brands don't work well on a Volvo.

Thanks Jack, I have had a look at it now, and the element bit looks perfectly clean. Is it meant to look dirty? I'm thinking there may be no point cleaning it?

Also, now I've unplugged it my engine management light is on (it wasn't on before), and stays on even if I plug it back in. Does that sound right, or is it meant to go off when I plug it back in?

Sorry about the Qs, I'm new to MAFs!

SteveSarre Nov 1st, 2020 21:05

Hi Alpine

I think it should clear when you turn the engine back on.

But maybe you have to disconnect and reconnect the battery, I don't remember.

Steve