Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 Engine 2.0D : V50 starting issues (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288753)

BishopV50 Nov 18th, 2018 21:13

V50 starting issues

Hi all,

so I've had my volvo v50 sport for about 7 years now and I have now encountered a problem with it starting, on start up I get really bag lag and willingness to start with alot of smoke coming out the back, I have changed the glow plugs, fuel filter, starter motor and 3 of the 4 injectors that were leaking, I still have the issues. does anyone know what it could be I have videos of the start up (don't know if I can upload them on here.) thought or ideas would be brilliant.
Thanks in advance. Rich

EDIT. I have managed to upload the video to YouTube

https://youtu.be/QiTnS1tND5A

EDIT 2 forgot to say I have had a new EGR fitted also.

Bungo Nov 19th, 2018 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopV50 (Post 2467984)
Hi all,

so I've had my volvo v50 sport for about 7 years now and I have now encountered a problem with it starting, on start up I get really bag lag and willingness to start with alot of smoke coming out the back, I have changed the glow plugs, fuel filter, starter motor and 3 of the 4 injectors that were leaking, I still have the issues. does anyone know what it could be I have videos of the start up (don't know if I can upload them on here.) thought or ideas would be brilliant.
Thanks in advance. Rich

EDIT. I have managed to upload the video to YouTube

https://youtu.be/QiTnS1tND5A

EDIT 2 forgot to say I have had a new EGR fitted also.

You don't say what year this is, it may be a problem with the DPF, do you have one fitted ?

BishopV50 Nov 19th, 2018 14:50

Hi sorry it's an 09 plate and I couldn't tell you if I had DPF or not to be honest I've been doing some research and some people said it could be the glow plug control/relay unit??

Could this be right?

Bungo Nov 20th, 2018 14:33

Very possibly, if you have a meter you can check voltage to relay, or get a garage to check.
You should research dpf as it's a vital thing to know what you have.

BishopV50 Nov 20th, 2018 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bungo (Post 2468527)
Very possibly, if you have a meter you can check voltage to relay, or get a garage to check.
You should research dpf as it's a vital thing to know what you have.

I've had a garage check and I have a warning light against my glow plug relay meter. how would I check if I have a dpf or not?

Clan Nov 20th, 2018 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopV50 (Post 2468183)
Hi sorry it's an 09 plate and I couldn't tell you if I had DPF or not to be honest I've been doing some research and some people said it could be the glow plug control/relay unit??

Could this be right?

No it is the throttle plate sticking shut , once it starts the vibrations free it off after about 10 seconds of shaking around , Cure is a new throttle body or the service bulletin needs carrying out by filing the edge of the plate , your dealer will know all about it , that's what they are for ...

BishopV50 Nov 20th, 2018 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2468548)
No it is the throttle plate sticking shut , once it starts the vibrations free it off after about 10 seconds of shaking around , Cure is a new throttle body or the service bulletin needs carrying out by filing the edge of the plate , your dealer will know all about it , that's what they are for ...

Thanks clan, but I can't see that being the issue with the start up to be honest it may be the issue with the lag and maybe the smoke, shouldn't it still start with the throttle plate sticking? I'm not a mechanic so I don't know....

Bungo Nov 20th, 2018 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopV50 (Post 2468530)
how would I check if I have a dpf or not?

If you call a volvo dealer with the reg and vin number they will have that info.

Clan Nov 20th, 2018 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopV50 (Post 2468649)
Thanks clan, but I can't see that being the issue with the start up to be honest it may be the issue with the lag and maybe the smoke, shouldn't it still start with the throttle plate sticking? I'm not a mechanic so I don't know....

oh yes there is enough air in the manifold for it to fire up first but then it chugs and rattles at very low rpm with lots of grey smoke until it stalls or in 90% of such cases clears itself after about 10 seconds . This isn't theory it's my experience over the last 12 years or so..

The Thong Nov 20th, 2018 22:14

I had this with mine. I was getting miss starts from cold or if I shut the engine down when it was hot I’d restart it and I’d have lots of smoke and it wouldn’t rev. Leave it twenty minutes and the car would start normally.

Solution, I stripped the butterfly housing off the motor and removed the sensor inside it. Clean out the housing with carb cleaner, get an old toothbrush to scrub away any stubborn carbon deposits and then chamfer the edges of the butterfly flap slightly with emery or sand paper (I shine a torch down it and chamfer enough off so I can see a halo of light around the flap) and then rebuild.

One hour to carry out this mod and if it doesn’t fix the issue it won’t cause any issues to your motor. The cause is either the heat of the engine is causing the housing to warp which jams the flap, jubilee clip holding it has been over tightened which can cause it or its full of carbon and its crusted up around the flap area.

Give it a go and see if it makes a difference, you’ve got nothing to lose. Good luck.

TT