Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Thinking of buying an S40 2.0d powershift (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=312191)

Icemann Dec 1st, 2020 16:39

Thinking of buying an S40 2.0d powershift

Hi all,

I’m currently considering purchasing a 2008 S40 2.0d powershift R design with 110k miles.

I’ve heard a lot of things about Volvo using Ford parts. Is there anything on this particular model I should be looking out for?

The gearbox has apparently had an oil change a few months ago, which is a good sign.

I appreciate any info/advice

Many thanks :regular_smile:

andy_d Dec 1st, 2020 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icemann (Post 2686012)
Hi all,

I’m currently considering purchasing a 2008 S40 2.0d powershift R design with 110k miles.

I’ve heard a lot of things about Volvo using Ford parts. Is there anything on this particular model I should be looking out for?

The gearbox has apparently had an oil change a few months ago, which is a good sign.

have a read of
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...peugeot&page=2

yes the S40/V50 platform is littered with "FoMoCo" parts

if i were you i would have a BIG read up on the ford powershift gearbox before going anywhere Near the car again.

i would also have a Good look at the post by T5R92011 in respect of the engine size/type....

Quote:

err Only IF it was a preventative measure, IF it was done to hide an existing fault to sell the car not so much
also it depends HOW the "oil" was changed and IF the correct grade ATF was used ,,,, thats a 50/50 !

Whyman Dec 1st, 2020 21:16

As Andy_d has said if in doubt avoid.

Ford have been sued in Australia over this and fined $10m.

Our Australian cousins have a much more colorful way of describing the quality of the gearbox by leaving the f out off the name.

Remember buyer beware.

RollingThunder Dec 2nd, 2020 13:12

1 Attachment(s)
My previous car was a 2007 S40 D5 auto - that gearbox was a 'geartronic' IIRC.

While I didn't get on with the car and sold it after a year, the gearbox was one of its better features - discrete and always seemed to be in the right gear, which in my experience is very unusual for an autobox. It was quick to downshift when required, and of course you could change gears manually if you felt like it.

If you want an auto S40, I'd say this is your better option. I'd concur with the ^^^ re the powershift - when I was looking for the S40 I read way too many reports of those gearboxes requiring very expensive repairs.

Simmy Dec 2nd, 2020 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icemann (Post 2686012)
Hi all,

the power shift gearbox is not a true auto its a dct volvo recomend fluid and filter change at 50k the weak point with it is the clutches there is 2 of them . juddering on take off is not uncommon they dont like to be driven to lightly it makes the clutch plates jump causeing the judder effect:eek:

andy_d Dec 3rd, 2020 01:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollingThunder (Post 2686209)
My previous car was a 2007 S40 D5 auto - that gearbox was a 'geartronic' IIRC.

While I didn't get on with the car and sold it after a year, the gearbox was one of its better features - discrete and always seemed to be in the right gear, which in my experience is very unusual for an autobox. It was quick to downshift when required, and of course you could change gears manually if you felt like it.

If you want an auto S40, I'd say this is your better option. I'd concur with the ^^^ re the powershift - when I was looking for the S40 I read way too many reports of those gearboxes requiring very expensive repairs.

yeps its a "geartronic" in them
my V502.4i SE has it ,imho The best autobox i have had the pleasure to use *so far
being able to select the gears manually Does come into its own when dealing with Steep downgrades ,esp with a boot full.

geartronic "yes"

powershift ,, nope no and heck no from/for me

green van man Dec 3rd, 2020 05:50

I had an S40 petrol model once, for 3 months. Sold it at a loss just to be rid of it. Horrible car. Replaced it with a V70 tdi and restored my faith in volvo.

Paul.

Welton Dec 3rd, 2020 08:42

I have to say that although I still like my S40 and enjoy it - it has taken a LOT to get it 'right' over the years.

Suspension is a massive ballache and very tiring in terms of near constant replacing parts of it, numerous 4-wheel 'alignment' attempts etc. Mine is about right now and I can probably say that 85% my suspension is under 5 years old (2005 car).

I've just google imaged: 'Powershift Gearbox Explained' and it looks a very complex unit.

I then did the same for the VAG DSG box and it looks quite similar :shocked:

As far as I've heard the VAG DSG is quite reliable but also requires regular fluid changes - as does everything.

I think for an easy life I would prefer an old school torque-converter automatic, says he who also owns a Citroen fitted with an updated version of Fiat's 'Selespeed' (remember those) gearbox which is a Robotised Manual :eek: we've put 50,000 miles on it and it's been faultless :shocked:

DSK Dec 3rd, 2020 09:25

As above, when I tried leasing, I was looking at a 2013 (when brand new) Focus 2.0 diesel with the powershift. When I researched it, it was just problems. Auto Expert John Cadogan on YouTube did an excellent piece summing up the way Ford know the problem, yet stick two fingers up at customers, were facing the massive lawsuit.

Clan Dec 3rd, 2020 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simmy (Post 2686287)
the power shift gearbox is not a true auto its a dct volvo recomend fluid and filter change at 50k the weak point with it is the clutches there is 2 of them . juddering on take off is not uncommon they dont like to be driven to lightly it makes the clutch plates jump causeing the judder effect:eek:

Volvo don't recommend it they demand it ! It is part of the 54000 mile service ... Oil and filter change .. some people have trouble getting the level right , it takes 5.5 litres