Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Horrible MPG, V50 2.0D MW 2009 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287979)

Ghost83 Oct 28th, 2018 06:06

Horrible MPG, V50 2.0D MW 2009

Hey guys,

I’ve noticed that my MPG is horrible! Like around 20MGP!
I’ll need to get to the bottom of it, but never owned a diesel car before!
Where to start? What to check?

The TB is clean! This is all I’ve done! But it was filthy with soot, oil residue which I am not sure if typical to a Diesel engine. But it can be a starting point...
EGR will get done next week and I’ll report back on that.

At the moment I am not sure if I have a DPF or not! I have a single inlet air intake manifold! The engine looks and feels all right. No shakes, vibrations, goes like a rocket. No leaks, spillages under the engine! No hissing, vacuum lines seem to be in good nick.
No smoke coming from the muffler even when it’s cold.
I mainly use the car downtown, so very little freeway ride. But I still think the MPG I am getting is unacceptable.

It’s a 2.0D 2009 MW 100kw.

DSK Oct 28th, 2018 07:55

Try a long freeway run where you can keep the revs up at around 3,000rpm in a lower gear for about 15-20 minutes. Diesel's tend get cruddy just doing short trips and urban duties.

In the new diesel cars I had, despite doing 900 miles a week on mainly motorways, at the speed limits, the cars were revving quite low as you'd expect at around 1,800-2,200rpm. Every couple of months I'd start to notice a drop in MPG. A local garage advised me to run the engine at higher rpm on a long run by keeping it in a lower gear for 15-20 minutes - this did the trick. Guess it helps to clean/burn crap out.

BOBAD Oct 29th, 2018 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigrincs (Post 2461553)

The TB is clean!

What's a TB ?

Yobbo Oct 29th, 2018 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigrincs (Post 2461553)
Hey guys,

I’ve noticed that my MPG is horrible! Like around 20MGP!
I’ll need to get to the bottom of it, but never owned a diesel car before!
Where to start? What to check?

The TB is clean! This is all I’ve done! But it was filthy with soot, oil residue which I am not sure if typical to a Diesel engine. But it can be a starting point...
EGR will get done next week and I’ll report back on that.

At the moment I am not sure if I have a DPF or not! I have a single inlet air intake manifold! The engine looks and feels all right. No shakes, vibrations, goes like a rocket. No leaks, spillages under the engine! No hissing, vacuum lines seem to be in good nick.
No smoke coming from the muffler even when it’s cold.
I mainly use the car downtown, so very little freeway ride. But I still think the MPG I am getting is unacceptable.

It’s a 2.0D 2009 MW 100kw.

20 MPG is awful - is this what you're getting on average MPG readout?

I'd be looking for split boost hoses, also try running on BP Ultiamte or another premium diesel alternative.

iainmd Oct 29th, 2018 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOBAD (Post 2461987)
What's a TB ?

Throttle Body I'd guess.

iainmd Oct 29th, 2018 21:25

I doubt using premium fuel will yield and results. Step one is probably a scam with Vida for any apparent faults.

A 2.0D should never average that low.

Ghost83 Oct 30th, 2018 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOBAD (Post 2461987)
What's a TB ?

Throtle body.

Ghost83 Oct 30th, 2018 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yobbo (Post 2462021)
20 MPG is awful - is this what you're getting on average MPG readout?

I'd be looking for split boost hoses, also try running on BP Ultiamte or another premium diesel alternative.

I use Shell only. But will try your suggestion.
I don’t have a trip computer so I just did my own calculation.

Could you advise on Throttle Body, pls? Should it be a single inlet or a dual?
It’s an euro 5 engine, 2009!

Thanks

Ghost83 Oct 30th, 2018 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by iainmd (Post 2462134)
I doubt using premium fuel will yield and results. Step one is probably a scam with Vida for any apparent faults.

In all fairness I did a bit of freeway this weekend. Just about 20 miles, and pretty much can’t see anything as to how much fuel I used. The needle stayed in one place. So keeping the faith.

Ghost83 Oct 30th, 2018 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by iainmd (Post 2462134)

I’ve got nothing in VIDA!
I had a sh***y battery 🔋 but swapped it. Only code I had is low battery signal. So nothing I can go on about, am afraid!