Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   XC90 T8 Sim Card slot??? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316399)

starsky Apr 28th, 2021 08:36

XC90 T8 Sim Card slot???

Hi all

Newbie here, sorry for the dumb question, go easy on me.

I recieved by fabulous new XC90 T8 yesterday - I have the sim card from the dealer but no idea where the sim card slot it. The manual suggests it is in the boot but i cant see it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

soupytwister Apr 28th, 2021 08:44

Open boot, lift the boot floor covers. It's on the right hand side. You're looking for a small black plastic looking holder that has 2 white arrows on it - one on the sim holder (which you pull out), and one on the socket. Just be careful when taking out / putting in so you don't lose any parts.

It's in the manual if still can't find it.

starsky Apr 28th, 2021 21:27

Very helpful, thanks Soupy. I can now see it as per the owner manual, although it wasnt very clear that i had to remove the base of the car!

So i seem to have got Volvo On Call set up, although the speed of the vodafone sim in the car is TERRIBLE. I mean zero data. So I am picking it up with the dealer tomorrow to see if i can get it working!

Polestar Pete Apr 28th, 2021 21:38

Shouldn’t the VOC be part of the customer handover process? They should be able to get you up and running when you pick the car up.

EssexExile Apr 28th, 2021 21:45

Surely you don't need to put a sim in for VOC? For us, probably because we're old and don't understand this modern stuff, the dealer got VOC working for us.

Polestar Pete Apr 28th, 2021 21:51

I agree, I don’t think you do need a SIM in the slot in order for VOC to work (it uses its own SIM).

But still, Volvo give you (or used to) a SIM card for the internal modem and helps you get it set up. They should also register your car with VOC and get that set up with the app.

It’s a simple enough process to do yourself though.

js90 Apr 28th, 2021 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polestar Pete (Post 2732614)
I agree, I don’t think you do need a SIM in the slot in order for VOC to work (it uses its own SIM).

But still, Volvo give you (or used to) a SIM card for the internal modem and helps you get it set up. They should also register your car with VOC and get that set up with the app.

It’s a simple enough process to do yourself though.

Definitely issues with VOC though. It took three days of trying intermittently for mine to decide to finish the setup process.

MCV60 Apr 29th, 2021 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by starsky (Post 2732599)
Very helpful, thanks Soupy. I can now see it as per the owner manual, although it wasnt very clear that i had to remove the base of the car!

So i seem to have got Volvo On Call set up, although the speed of the vodafone sim in the car is TERRIBLE. I mean zero data. So I am picking it up with the dealer tomorrow to see if i can get it working!

I recently picked my new V90 , came with VOC and Vodafone sim. (previous car V90 didn't have it)
I cannot for the life in me get the Sensus or my phone to connect to the Vodafone sim. I even checked to see if there was a sim present. The Vodafone signal appears to be weak in my area.

Then found this link. Good luck.

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/about/h.../iitc/activate

I've decided to tether my phone to the car and use my phone data for live traffic data.

Polestar Pete Apr 29th, 2021 09:48

If you use the Vodafone SIM provided by Volvo, then I seem to recall that an APN needs to be set in the internet settings in Sensus.

Alternatively, just buy a data sim from Amazon (or wherever). I bought a 20Gb unlimited SIM from 3 and it works just fine.

techwatcher Apr 29th, 2021 11:55

The Vodafone P-SIM should really have been configured by the dealer as part of the handover process.

I recall the configuration process being a bit of a faff and partly set up so that Vodafone can chase you to renew after 12 months.

In our previous XC60 we used a 20Gb SIM from 3 which is basically plug and play.