Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Volvo BT Phone P2v2 - Phone Module (PHM) Bluetooth update (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=261575)

marekbm Jan 2nd, 2017 15:37

Volvo BT Phone P2v2 - Phone Module (PHM) Bluetooth update

4 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,
If you have a Phone module (PHM) in the car but you don't use it (it needs an extra SIM card) then it's possible to rebuild it into Bluetooth Hands-Free module.

I would like to introduce my product: Volvo BT Phone P2v2.
You can simply replace obsolete GSM modem in the PHM by this Bluetooth module. And you can enjoy these new features:

Hands-Free:
- it's not a GSM phone module anymore but Bluetooth Hands-Free with the use of original microphone (in rearview mirror) and speaker (drivers seat)
- contacts are read out from the connected cellphone (max. 350 - 500 contacts, depends on original GSM modem: Ericsson - 350; Wavecom - 500).
- maximum of 16 paired devices (just one active connection).
- automatic connection with last connected cellphone, if not find then it tries to connect to any paired
- incoming and outgoing calls on the Dashboard + you can see it also on the radio (if not muted, depends on settings).
- same control like before - buttons on Steering wheel and Phone module. Green button - accept the call, red button - reject the call
- DTMF tones are also supported

Music in the radio:
- you can listen the music from your cellphone in the radio (A2DP + AVRCP).
- you can set the module into following radio modes: CD-CHANGER (all HU radios supports it), MD-CHANGER (only HU-x0x radios) or SAT (only HU-x5x radios).
- Song ID tags on the radio. Spotify is working too. (MD-CHANGER or SAT mode)
- Remaining or total time (CD-CHANGER or MD-CHANGER mode).
- next / previous button on the radio or Steering wheel is working. In the SAT mode just on the radio.
- if you have the RTI or another device connected to the MELBUS, you need "Y" cable. It's not a part of package.

Another features:
- simple firmware update and extra settings via Bluetooth. You can use smartphone or laptop.

Supported cars:
- S60 (2000-2009)
- V/XC70 (2000-2007)
- S80 (2000-2006) - PHM with the SIM slot under buttons.

Caution: iPhone works well but it doesn't support send files via Bluetooth! For the first run you will probably need a laptop or smartphone with Android or Windows Mobile.

Few videos (not in English)
Documentation
Firmware to download

Order form

Everything just by replacing one board in the PHM module. Nothing that marred the interior of the car.

marekbm Jan 3rd, 2017 00:21

The Installation Guide in English is ready. I hope it does make sense because of my English. If anything is stupid let me know ;) . Now I will start with the User Guide.

marekbm Jan 7th, 2017 21:07

I have finished the translation of the User Guide.

john d Jan 8th, 2017 17:42

Hi,

This sounds interesting. However, my problem would be extracting the existing phone module from the dashboard. I have tried but can't see how it can be done - can you advise? The car is a 2006 v70 T5 SE.

Thanks,

John

Simon Jones Jan 8th, 2017 18:16

You need to remove the whole unit (radio, climate control panel & keypad) to access it from the rear. Plenty of videos on YouTube. Once you've got the knack, it's only a 5 / 10 minute job to whip it out.

john d Jan 8th, 2017 18:25

Thanks, Simon.

I have previously taken the whole head unit out - climate control and all. And I've taken the trim plate off the front, but for the life of me I haven't been able to work out how to get the phone out.

I'll have a look at YouTube - 5/10 minutes sounds like my kind of job.

(Incidentally - search YouTube for "Dilbert, the Knack" next time you're on there. It cracks me up every time!)

Simon Jones Jan 8th, 2017 18:30

I have to admit, I've never tried to remove a phone unit (as I didn't have one) but the cupholder clips into the plastic frame somehow.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...psoyjptrks.jpg

john d Jan 8th, 2017 19:04

It is a while since I took my unit out (and I didn't take any picture - what a good idea for the future).

However, as I recollect, there seemed to be a fairly obvious spring loaded clip, which I released with a screwdriver. I got the module to move a fraction, but then it stuck, as if there were another clip somewhere that I had missed.

How many clips were there on your cup holder - the phone and cup holder must fix roughly the same way.

Gomorrah Jan 13th, 2017 01:40

Hi Marek,

Very ingenious system, I was wondering if it is possible to change the 2G gsm module to one that supports a 3/4G network based on the work you have done? I imagine it is not as easy as substituting modules on the board even if one was available. Australian carriers have started the 2G network shutdown and my phone no longer works. I have a Grom audio unit in for USB/BT playback and would like to keep the car phone system going seeing as I already have a separate sim for it.

marekbm Jan 13th, 2017 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gomorrah (Post 2220803)
Hi Marek,

Very ingenious system, I was wondering if it is possible to change the 2G gsm module to one that supports a 3/4G network based on the work you have done? I imagine it is not as easy as substituting modules on the board even if one was available. Australian carriers have started the 2G network shutdown and my phone no longer works. I have a Grom audio unit in for USB/BT playback and would like to keep the car phone system going seeing as I already have a separate sim for it.

Hi, the worst was implementation of three types of GSM modem into one firmware. At the beginning I was scared about melbus (text on the radio) but at the end it was easier than GSM modems. I have a lucky because I have started with the most complicated type (Ericsson, older models), from the hw side.