Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Hybrid Reliability (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=337989)

Paddyzulu Feb 9th, 2024 11:16

Hybrid Reliability

Currently in the market and looking to buy a 2-3 year old V90 Petrol T5,
thought about doing the 'right thing' and considering hybrid.
Thanks to this excellent resource and its like minded contributors I have read about the woes of the T6/8 and wondered if anyone has had issues with the newer B series notably B5? My gut feeling is best sticking with old school. TIA any answers of experience.

Clan Feb 9th, 2024 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paddyzulu (Post 2935130)
Thanks to this excellent resource and its like minded contributors I have read about the woes of the T6/8 and wondered if anyone has had issues with the newer B series notably B5? My gut feeling is best sticking with old school. TIA any answers of experience.

It's all a grey area at the moment with these Electric cars from Any Manufacturer as they have not been around for long enough to prove themselves. One thing is sure though ANY repair is going to cost £1000's rather than £ 100's

volvo always Feb 9th, 2024 11:42

Can't answer about Volvo, but for the last 4 years have a 2015 Toyota Auris Hybrid estate.

Been reliable. Have had a new 12 volt starter battery in the lockdown due to age and non usage.

6 months after buying the AC failed. Condenser radiator leaking but replaced under 12 months used car warranty.

Paid when bought a 2 year warranty, so had 3 years from when bought and not had to use it, now all lapsed.

Have it serviced by Toyota and get a further 12 month relax warranty. While it is serviced they do a hybrid health check on the battery and warranty it also for a further 12 months, believe max 100k miles.

Replaced tyres/ disks/pads as with normal maintenance. Only covered 48,000 miles, so low mileage for the age.

Like the £0 road tax as pre April 2017 and 50-60mpg depending on temperature etc.

No alternator, starter motor, drive belts.

James.

Whippy Feb 9th, 2024 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paddyzulu (Post 2935130)

Plug in hybrid?

Paddyzulu Feb 9th, 2024 14:14

I assume it is

Whippy Feb 9th, 2024 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paddyzulu (Post 2935168)
I assume it is

Ok, just bare in mind that it'll give you give or take 30miles of battery, after that you'll be lugging a flat battery plus all the associated ancillary bits n bobs plus the electric motors which all together is a lot, and I mean a lot of literally dead weight, plays merry hell with mpg. If that suits then fine, I don't know how you intend to use it, just be aware is all.

Paddyzulu Feb 9th, 2024 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whippy (Post 2935204)
Ok, just bare in mind that it'll give you give or take 30miles of battery, after that you'll be lugging a flat battery plus all the associated ancillary bits n bobs plus the electric motors which all together is a lot, and I mean a lot of literally dead weight, plays merry hell with mpg. If that suits then fine, I don't know how you intend to use it, just be aware is all.

Absolutely agree, and my understanding is that is the range and is pretty pointless for the reasons you state and I can't help think a few thousand miles and out of warranty you will be on your own of course with poor reliability of expensive components. Can't help, but may be unfairly, thinking of the T6/8 technology reliability.